Koshary : Where Beans and Grains are Cooked Together
Koshary is a very popular Egyptian recipe, which combines both beans and grains together. It uses rice, macaroni, lentils, chickpeas, onions, garlic, tomatoes, lemon, vinegar, and hot chillies.
It is sold everywhere and all the people elaborate their way to make and enjoy Koshary. In fact, it is a delicious as well as a complete meal, regarding its nutritive value and calorie content.
It acquires its nutritive value from combining many categories of food, and combining more than one variety within the same category, for example, different beans offer a complete protein, and different vegetables and spices offer a wide range of healthy phyto-chemicals.
2 cup --------- Rice
1 1/2 cups --- Macaroni
1 cup --------- Black Lentils (soaked for 6 hours)
1 cup --------- Chickpeas
1 lb ---------- Onions (large size)
1 lb ---------- Tomatoes (red ripe but not soft)
10-12 cloves-- Garlic
Hot chillies (red and green), Vinegar, Lemon, Cumin, and Salt according to your preferences, besides oil for frying.
Preparing Onions for Koshary
- Cut the onion into 2 halves and make very thin slices
- Heat an empty pan and mix onion slices with a pinch of salt in it, leave until dry and golden
- Add oil to the onions and leave until it gets a reddish golden color
- Remove the onions and put it in a seize covered with a paper tissue to remove oil
Preparing Chickpeas for Koshary
- Boil chickpeas in salted water, when cooked (becomes soft) remove it, filter and rinse with cold water
Preparing Black Lentils for Koshary
- Boil black lentils, filter and wash
- Mince garlic with 1 TBS of cumin then fry in oil
- Add black lentils to fried mixture, add a pinch of salt and black pepper and mix
Preparing Macaroni for Koshary
- Boil macaroni in salted water and add some oil, some people boil macaroni in milk
- When it is cooked, remove macaroni, filter and rinse with cold water
Preparing Rice for Koshary
- Prepare rice the regular way
- Some people replace half the amount of rice with noodles and cook them together
Making Sauce for Koshary
This is a crucial step for the characteristic taste of koshary. It is the last thing to be added to koshary just before eating. You may serve free amounts to be used by each individual according to his taste.
- Mix 3 cloves of garlic, cumin, hot red chillies, salt and vinegar or lemon juice or both in the blender
- Heat the mixture and bring it to boiling, get a consistency of sauce
How to Mix Components of Koshary
This is just for serving in an appealing look, because all the layers will be mixed before eating.
The first layer is rice, then macaroni, black lentils, chickpeas, tomato paste and lately onion rings.
- The Diet Solution Basics
The Diet Solution Basics : A review of the basics of weight loss, as well as the diet solution program and how far it copes with these basics.
More by this Author
What if you get rid of your acne 2 days from now? No topical applications, no unknown remedies, no toxic drugs, and no overdose supplements. You will just fine tune the supplements you may be already taking. After the...
Nothing better for your face skin than sugar. Any type of sugar like white, brown or Muscovado sugar- all are extracted from sugarcane or sugar beet- presents to the face all routines required for a good skincare. ...
But if the consumers find long lasting or permanent hair removal safely (if performed properly), and find that hair regrowth comes back finer in texture and lighter in color, then why do they need alternatives? Well,...
No comments yet.