Krusteaz Cookie Mix Review and Recipes
Double Chocolate Chunk Cookie Recipe
Krusteaz is Best Cookie Mix
Looking for fast, easy homemade tasting cookies? Here is my review and some recipes for using Krusteaz Bakery Cookie Mixes. Here is why I like them:
- 20 Minutes to Make: As a mom of 5, cookies go fast in my house and I'm always looking for cookies that can be ready to go in 20 minutes.
- Tastes Like Scratch: The best cookie mix I've found for cookies that taste like I made them from scratch are Krusteaz Cookies.
- Cheaper than Homemade: Better yet, these are often on sale at my local grocery store for under a dollar, which makes them cheaper than from scratch, especially the chocolate chip mix.
Krusteaz Cookie Mixes
Tips for Best Cookies from Mix
One web review complained that the sugar cookies spread too much. That is true if you are trying cut outs. However, there are some things that make any cookie mix work better:
- Margarine: Use margarine in the mix if you want a crispy cookie taste.
- Butter: Butter does taste better but it makes a softer cookie. So for a softer cookie with a deep butter taste use real butter.
- Flour: If you want sugar cookies or other cookies to be mounded up or firmer, add 1/2 cup of flour to the mix, or even up to 1 cup if the mix still isn't very stiff.
Krusteaz Sugar Cookie Mix
The sugar cookie mix tastes sweet and makes great crispy drop sugar cookies. If you are making rolled shaped cookies, you may want to add extra flour so they don't spread out as much. Like most regular sugar cookies, these will still spread out, however. If you really want crisp shapes, try my shortbread cookie recipe in my Christmas Cookies Recipes.
Peanut Butter Cookies
Krusteaz Peanut Butter Cookie Mix
I can't tell the difference between this mix and homemade, so I generally don't make peanut butter cookies except with this mix. The Krusteaz mix has a wonderful deep peanut taste and the cookies are very crispy. The mix uses oil rather than butter or margarine, which makes them even cheaper to make. The dough is stiff and makes it easy to do the traditional fork marks. Krusteaz Peanut Butter Cookies are so popular in my household that I've come up with lots of variations below. My husband devoured the Peanut Butter Mini-Chocolate chip ones I made just this week. Here are some ideas:
- Peanut Butter Cup Cookies: Press dough into mini-muffin cups and put in a Reeses Peanut Butter Cup. Bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes.
- Kiss Peanut Butter Cookies: Press dough into mini-muffin cups and put a kiss (regular or caramel) in. Bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes.
- Peanut, Peanut Butter: Pile on the peanut flavor by adding 1 cup of Reeses chips and 1/2 cup of peanuts. Bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes.
- Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies: Mix 1 cup of regular or mini chocolate chips into the dough. Mound up on a cookie sheet and bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes.
- Peanut Butter Chocolate Frosted Cookies: Mound cookies on baking sheet, press down with hand to flatten. When they come out of the oven, frost using canned chocolate frosting or homemade gauche made by putting 1 cup chocolate chips, 1 TB butter and 1 TB milk in the microwave for 1 minute. Mix and add some powdered sugar if it is too liquid (some chocolates require the powdered sugar, others don't). Frost the cooled cookies.
Krusteaz Gingerbread Cookie Mix
I love making gingerbread men and houses at Christmas time and have always made my own recipe until I discovered the Krusteaz Gingerbread Cookie Mix. This mix is so easy to make and has just the right amount of spices for my kids. So now I just look for sales at Christmas time. It ends up being much cheaper and I can make a small batch when friends come over.
Unlike the sugar cookie dough, this mix is great for cutting out with cookie cutters. It helps to chill the dough a while too. You can also just make it up and keep it in the refrigerator for making some quick cookies for guests. Here are some ideas:
- Whoopie Pies: Make dough and shape into a 2-inch diameter log (like refrigerated doughs you buy) and put in refrigerator overnight. Slice into 1/4 inch cookies. Bake in 350-degree oven for 10 minutes. Cool cookies. Put a dab of vanilla frosting in between two cookies to make Whoopee pie. These are a terrific snack for parties. You can also put ice cream in between for ice cream sandwiches
- Gingersnaps: Use the same log and cut very thin slices. Put slices on a baking sheet covered with foil or parchment. Sprinkle on a little sugar. Bake in 350 oven about 7-8 minutes or until lightly brown. These are great with coffee or tea.
- Christmas Gingerbread Men: My signature Christmas cookie is making Gingerbread Men and then frosting them with white frosting, red or green sprinkles and then using red and green M&Ms for eyes and buttons. My kids prefer this with sugar cookies, but I'm partial to gingerbread.
Double Chocolate Chunk CookiesClick thumbnail to view full-size
Krusteaz Triple Chocolate Chunk Cookie Mix
Chocolate chips are not cheap, so this cookie mix ends up being the best bargain in the Krusteaz line up. Refrigerated doughs have a funny taste to them and so do the commercial chocolate chip cookies in packages. These cookies are so quick to make and they taste as good as my homemade recipe. I honestly can't really tell the difference and my picky family can't either. So why not choose the easiest and fastest way to make cookies?
Use my tips above to make the cookies crispier or softer. Or try my "accident" recipe below. I'd mistakenly heated my margarine 1 minute instead of 20 seconds and was in too much of a hurry to let it cool down. When it melted the chocolate chips in the mix, I added another cup. My family loved these double chocolate chunk chip cookies. Yours might too!
Update January 2016: See below for the reviews on problems with a new recipe for this mix. I've really appreciated the fact that other people have weighed in on this issue and one women even went so far as to call the Krusteaz company for information. I've had one box which didn't taste very good (July 2015) but thought it was just some problem with my other ingredients. Then I started getting complaints on the comments. From August to November 2015, my grocery store did not stock the chocolate cookies. Then in December 2015 they appeared again with a "New and Improved" label. I tried them in January 2016 and they seem to taste just fine, so whatever problem they might have had seems to be resolved.
Buy Cookie Mix in Bulk
Krusteaz Chocolate Chunk Cookie Mix Recipe
- 1 box Krusteaz Chocolate Chunk Cookie Mix
- 1 stick margarine, melted 1 minute
- 1 egg
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- Melt margarine in microwave 1 minute. It will be hot. Add mix and egg and stir. The chocolate chips in the mix will melt. Cool a couple of minutes.
- Add chocolate chips to mix and stir. Put spoonfuls of the mix on a baking sheet covered with parchment or foil. Bake at 350 degree oven for 10 minutes or until done.
Double Chocolate Chunk Cookies
|Serving size: 1 (2 inch cookie)|
|Calories from Fat||18|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 2 g||3%|
|Saturated fat 1 g||5%|
|Unsaturated fat 1 g|
|Carbohydrates 17 g||6%|
|Sugar 11 g|
|Fiber 1 g||4%|
|Protein 1 g||2%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
More by this Author
Quick and easy recipe and tips for making restaurant-like cornbread at home. Great with my honey butter!
Consumer review of Pillsbury Mix and serving ideas. Includes homemade sugar free brownie recipe too.
Want to write a great argument paper, fast? Try one of these easy topics. You'll also find links to research ideas, writing tips, and sample essays.