Sweet Potato and Thyme Rustic Bread Recipe
A Hearty and Healthy Beautiful Colored Bread
For Brown Bread
If you’d like to add more fiber into your bread you can substitute some or all of the plain flour for whole wheat.
Benefits of Sweet Potato or Kumara
- Benefits of sweet potatoes
Benefits of sweet potatoes. So easy to cook. Steam, bake, boil, or whatever. A stand-alone dish. So delicious.
2 sweet potato or kumara (about 400g / 14 ounces each)
1 egg, lightly beaten
60g/2ounces unsalted butter
2cups (300g) plain flour
1cup self raising flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon caster sugar
1 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg preferably or ground nutmeg if you don’t have fresh nutmeg
1 ½ teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
¾cup (60g) grated parmesan
½cup (60g) grated tasty chees
Rate this recipe
How to Make Sweet Potato & Thyme Bread
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Line a baking tray with baking paper. Prick each sweet potato 6 times with a skewer and place on the tray. Bake for 50-60 minutes until tender. Remove from oven and cool slightly. When cool enough to handle, peel the sweet potatoes. Place the flesh in a bowl and mash with a fork or potato masher until smooth. Measure up 1 cup mashed sweet potatoes and keep the rest for another use.
- Line the baking tray with fresh baking paper and lightly dust with flour. Set aside.
- Whisk the buttermilk, egg and softened butter in a bowl. Mix in the sweet potatoes mash with a fork.
- Sift the flours, baking soda, sugar and 2 teaspoons salt into a separate bowl. Stir in the nutmeg, thyme, parmesan and tasty cheese. Make a well in the centre.
- Flour your hands and use them to mix in the egg mixture –you may need to add a little extra flour if the dough is too wet and sticky.
- When the dough has come together, place it on the prepared baking tray. Pat the dough into a round loaf about 4cm thick. Sieve a fine layer of flour over the top. Use a blunt knife to score the dough fairly deeply into 8 wedges.
- Bake for about 45 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the center comes out clean. Remove the bread from the oven and place on a wire rack to cool until it is barely warm if you’d like to eat it right away. If not, it will keep quite moist and fresh for a few days.
Other Sweet Potato Recipes
- Flourless Chocolate Cake + Chocolate and Coconut Mil...
Good wholesome healthy chocolate cake recipe which uses mashed SWEET POTATOES instead of flour. No butter, no refined ingredients, low glycemic index and totally delicious.
- Mashed Sweet Potatoes: Recipes and Serving Suggestions for Sweet Potato Mash
Sweet potato mash is a fantastic alternative to regular mashed potatoes and goes very well with a number of accompaniments. This page provides a number of different recipe ideas for preparing and serving mashed sweet potatoes.
- Mom´s Best Pies- Pineapple Coconut Pie, Sweet Potato Pie, and Pecan Pie
These are my favorite of my mom’s pies when I was growing up: Pineapple Coconut Pie, Sweet Potato Pie, and Pecan Pie.
- Things to Do With Sweet Potatoes
More by this Author
A truly traditional landmark of authentic Mexican cuisine: “Pozole” is a meal soup or main dish consisting of a broth made with hominy, chicken and a particular Mexican herb called holy leave, served with...
A balanced not-too-sweet version of Stuffed Poblano Chilies with Walnut Sauce topped with a beautiful garnish of pomegranate kernels, a sweet and savory traditional and festive Mexican dish famous for its unique blend...
Impressionism and the vanguard, European and Mexican Impressionist artists at the Museo Soumaya in Mexico City, founded by the richest man in the world, Mexican businessman Carlos Slim Helu.