Lamb and Aubergine Moussaka
Not a Greasy Dish (excuse the pun)
You won't get a better Moussaka than this! Even our Greek friends love it and it is not greasy, which can be a problem with a lot of Moussaka dishes! Serve with a Green Salad. By the way the correct way to pronounce Moussaka is to put the emphasis on the 'ou' vowels not the 'a' vowel.
- 900g aubergine, thinly sliced
- pinch salt and pepper
- 2 tblsp olive oil
- 450g minced lamb
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 3 tblsp tomato puree
- 150ml dry white wine
- 225g chopped tomatoes, can
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 65g plain flour
- 75g dried white breadcrumbs
- 50g butter
- 1 pint milk
- 75g cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 egg yoke
- Sprinkle the sliced aubergine generously with salt, leave in a colander to drain for 30 minutes.
- In a saucepan heat some olive oil and brown the lamb. If the lamb creates excessive fat on cooking, drain some off. Stir in the onions and cook until soft but not brown. Add the tomato puree, herbs and 15 grams of the flour, season and stir. Add the tin of tomatoes and the white wine. Stir. Bring this mixture to the boil, cover and simmer for 30 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Rinse the aubergines, squeeze gently and pat dry with kitchen paper. In a frying pan, fry a few slices at a time in hot olive oil until just turning brown on both sides. Drain well on kitchen paper. Continue this process until all the aubergine slices are cooked.
- Lightly grease a shallow ovenproof dish. Layer the aubergines in the dish followed by the lamb mixture and then 50 grams of the breadcrumbs.
- To make the sauce, melt the butter in a pan, stir in the remaining flour and cook gently for 1 minute. Remove the pan from the heat and gradually stir in the milk. Bring to the boil and continue to cook until the sauce thickens. Season. Remove from the heat and stir in 50 grams of the cheese and the egg yolk.
- Spoon the sauce over the moussaka, sprinkle with the remaining cheese and breadcrumbs.
- Bake in a pre-heated oven at 180 degrees C until golden and hot.
More by this Author
Greek Styled Stuffed Zucchini Flowers with egg and lemon sauce is a recipe which is easy to follow and produces a succulent dish which is very well worth the preparation effort.
Greeks all over Greece will be making their traditional Christmas cakes of Melomakarona and Kourabiethes right after Thanksgiving despite their current economic woes.
Operation Gladio Chapters 4-6 is part of a political thriller written by Philip Cooper scheduled for publication on June 1st 2017. It can be pre-ordered at www.smashwords.com.