Lauki ki Sabji - Simple Bottle Gourd Recipe
The Bottle Gourd is called Lauki in Hindi. It is amongst the most versatile vegetables and can be used extensively in all kinds of cuisine. You can make soup out of it, a vegetable side dish (like the one given in this recipe), as an add on in Sambar daal, and even a sweet dish called lauki ka halwa.
It is available around the year and is usually best when it is grown to about a foot. The larger the vegetable the less succulent it is. So try not to go for the huge size but rather for the smaller and slimmer variety when you shop for it.
- 1 Onion, sliced
- 1 Lauki or bottle gourd, chopped roughly after peeling
- 1-2 cloves of garlic, crushed and chopped
- 1 teaspoon Cumin seeds or Jeera sabut
- 1 teaspoon Refined Oil, (Sunflower or Soyabean is good)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Corriander powder or Dhania powder
- 1/4 cup water
- In a cooking vessel add a teaspoon of oil.
- Once it heats up add the cumin seeds (Jeera)to splutter.
- Then add the garlic and cook till slightly brown.
- Now add the sliced onions and saute till slightly brown.
- Add the Coriander powder and salt.
- Mix in the chopped Lauki (Bottle Gourd).
- Add the water, cover and cook till the pieces are tender and cooked.
- Serve hot with rotis or rice.
This simple to make vegetable dish is not very spicy and can easily be served to children. On the other hand if you would like to spice it up you can add a finely chopped green chilly to the dish.
Another variation can be adding a tablespoon worth of crushed groundnuts to the vegetable after it is cooked. The gravy comes out richer and thicker with the groundnuts. However if you are allergic to nuts leave them out.
More by this Author
Freelancing online to make money can take place in four different forms. These are outsourcing, micro tasking, cloud sourcing and revenue sharing. Here I give details of each type of work and sites on which to find open...
This hub contains energy exercises to cleanse and balance your seven chakras. The idea is to do these energy exercises over a period of seven days. Cleansing and balancing all your chakras in a week
These 5 homemade weightloss drinks are easy to make and nutritious to boot. You don't have to empty your wallet for weight loss drinks anymore! Just follow these free recipes and sip away!