Lebanese 7 Spice Chicken Wings Recipe
Lebanese 7 spice is a combination of different spices which is often used in Lebanese cooking as a dry marinade or ingredient. It is perhaps most commonly used with lamb. This idea to combine it with chicken worked very well, however, and hopefully you will consider giving it a try to spice up your home cooked chicken wings in a way that your family may not have tried before. One point to note is that using only the 7 spice as a seasoning can leave the chicken with a slightly overpowering taste of clove (one of the spices in the mix) and it is principally for this reason that the paprika was also included in this recipe. Experimentation with other complementary spices could of course also pay great dividends.
Do remember that whenever you are cooking chicken wings - or any type of raw meat - you should remove them from the refrigerator an hour or so in advance and allow them to reach room temperature. Cooking them straight from the fridge can not only affect the cooking time, it can cause uneven cooking, leaving the surface meat over-cooked and the internal meat under-cooked.
- Prep time: 15 min
- Cook time: 30 min
- Ready in: 45 min
- Yields: 1 generous portion
- 10 whole chicken wings
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp Lebanese 7 spice
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 medium tomato, cut in to three segments
- Flat leaf parsley, to garnish
Struggling to Find Lebanese 7 Spice? Order it from Amazon!
InstructionsClick thumbnail to view full-size
- Start your oven preheating to 400F/200C. Pour the olive oil in to a large glass or stone bowl and add the salt and spices. Stir with a wooden spoon to form a smooth paste.
- If you want to segment the chicken wings before cooking them, the procedures in all other respects are exactly the same. Put the chicken wings in to the bowl with the oil and spices. Tilt the bowl slightly with your weaker hand and use your stronger hand to carefully fold the chicken wings through the spice mixture. Keep doing this until the chicken wings are evenly coated in the oil and spices. It may take up to a couple of minutes but it is important to be gentle so as not to damage the delicate wings.
- Lay the chicken wings in a single layer on a large, ovenproof tray. Cook in the preheated oven for half an hour. Remove the tray from the oven after this time and sit aside to rest for ten to fifteen minutes.
- Arrange the chicken wings on a plate. Lay the watercress and tomato salad by their side as a ganrish and finish with a scattering of chopped parsley.
Does this chicken wings recipe idea appeal to you?
More by this Author
- EDITOR'S CHOICE24
Roast chicken is a popular and wonderfully delicious foodstuff. All too often, however, the ways in which chicken is roasted are unimaginative. These roast chicken recipes are extremely varied without making them in any...
- EDITOR'S CHOICE6
Pitta breads are small, partly leavened flatbreads. The recipes on this page see the pitta breads opened up to form pockets and filled with chicken cooked in a variety of different ways.
- EDITOR'S CHOICE27
Duck eggs make a wonderfully tasty and refreshing change from chicken eggs and can largely be cooked almost exactly the same way. This page features ten different ways in which you can cook duck eggs (or chicken eggs)...