Best Recipes For Leftover Meats
Eastern Wild Turkey
Turkeys All Around Me
Leftover turkey is a proverb in some households during the autumn holidays and New Years, but even ham, beef, and other fowl make delicious pies and tortes. Substitute your favorite meats for turkey in the recipe below.
Mediterranean Turkey Torte
This turley recipe is good for using up leftover fowl or any of several other types of favorite meata, along with breads and any of several types of deli foods.
Try this recipe with your own leftovers soon.
- White Bread Dough, thawed 6 loaves
- Hard Salami, thinly sliced 1 lb., 8 oz.
- Mushrooms in Brine, drained 1 lb., 8 oz.
- Ripe Olives, drained and sliced 6 oz.
- Fresh Basil, loosely chopped 1⁄4 cup
- Fresh Oregano, loosely chopped 1⁄4 cup
- Provolone Cheese, thinly sliced 1 lb., 8 oz.
- Turkey, sliced: 3 lbs. white and dark meats
- Leaf Spinach 12 oz.
- Roasted Red Peppers, drained and coarsely chopped 12 oz.
- Artichoke Hearts, drained and coarsely chopped 2 lbs., 4 oz.
- Large Eggs 3
- Water 3 Tbsp.
This fun and delicious recipe yields three loaves; but the following assembly instructions and ingredient quantities listed are for one loaf only.
- Wash your hands.
- Rinse all the fresh produce under cool running water and drain it well.
- Make your own bread dough earlier or thaw frozen bread dough in the refrigerator at 41° F or below.
- Roll two thawed bread dough loaves out on a lightly floured surface to a circle of 10" diameter circle each (this is still just for one loaf finished product).
- Cover one circle and set it aside.
- Take the other circle and fit the dough into a 9" springform pan, allowing the edges to overhang.
- Layer ingredients according to this method and in this order: 4 oz. hard salami, 8 oz. mushrooms and 2 oz. sliced olives, 2 Tbsp. basil, 2 Tbsp. oregano, 4 oz. provolone cheese, 8 oz. turkey, 4 oz. roasted red peppers, 4 oz. hard salami, 8 oz. turkey, 12 oz. artichokes, and finally, top it off with 4 oz. provolone cheese.
- Repeat with remaining dough loaves and ingredients for two additional tortes.
- Next, whisk together the egg and water and brush it on the overhanging bread dough.
- Top the torte with remaining bread dough circle.
- Fold overhanging edges over the edge of the top bread circle and crimp it as necessary all around and press tight to seal the loaf. Brush the top with the remaining egg mixture.
- Bake at 350° F on the bottom oven rack for 30 to 35 minutes.
- Remove the loaf from the oven and cover with foil if the top is getting too brown. Bake 15-20 minutes more.
- Cool the loaf out of the oven on a pan on a wire rack.
- Remove the sides of the pan and cut the loaf into 8 wedges to serve.
- NOTE: The final internal cooking temperature must reach a minimum of 165° F and keep it held for 15 seconds.
- This dish may be prepared, refrigerated, and reheated as needed.
What Type Of Turkey Do You Serve?
Many types of turkeys are raised in America and here are some you may know:
- Black Turkey, first mention in literature in 1925.
- Bourbon - From Kentucky, its feathers are rather red.
- Bronze Turkey - This one is rare, perhaps endangered.
- Holland White - The First Turkey! The Aztecs raised these birds in Mexico in the 1500s and possibly earlier.
- Narragansett - From Rhode Island originally., this bird is popular.
- Royal Palm - This bird is white with black back feathers and came over form Europe to Florida in the early 20th century.
- Slate Turkey - A beautiful gray shade with some black back feathers. It is a gene mutation that has not yet been properly traced.
© 2007 Patty Inglish
More by this Author
Here are some recipes for Turkey and a Cajun gravy that you might not have tried before. Film clips from a famous TV chef and writer help us out.
Chicken has remained my favorite meat-group cooking ingredient since childhood. It is delicious and lighter eating than beef products and likely healthier unless deep fried. I first ate Kentucky Fried...
My "Characteristics of the Ideal Employee" comes from 15 years' consensus of employers in a range of industries. These ideals can help you gain a job and earn promotions. See some added new tips!