Recipe For Lemon Coffee Cake
Fruits In the Diet Enhance Health
Incorporating additional fruits into the daily diet is usually a good thing and while desserts are not fruit in themselves, the fruits used in them do add extra vitamins and other nutrients.
For additional health enhancement, we can substitute other items for sugar. These substitutions include honey, Stevia, or Sugar Twin®. Be careful of Splenda, because increasing numbers of people are exhibiting an allergy to it.
Using honey will lengthen the baking time of this cake and many other products, because of added moisture. Applesauce, though, can replace eggs and at least some sugar in recipes like my Mexican Banana Oatmeal Cookies. Experiment to see whether honey or applesauce is best for your baking substitutions. You may even decide to use plain white sugar.
Regardless of your baking sweetener choices, nothing can replace lemon for a refreshing dessert, such as this lemon coffee cake. Lime does not work as well for me in this recipe, so I reserve that citrus favorite for beverages and pies. If you have good luck with lime in this coffee cake, do let us know in the Comments section below!
Please enjoy this recipe!
Lemon Coffee Cake
- Nonstick cooking spray - Pam or a good store brand
- 1/2 cup room-temperature margarine or butter will taste richer.
- 1 cup white or light brown sugar
- 2 whole eggs
- 2 6-ounce cups of lemon yogurt of your favorite brand
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 2 1/3 cups all-purpose flour ( Martha White and King Arthur flours are great!)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
Crunchy Top With Brown Sugar and Cinnamon
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour (light Martha White)
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3 Tablespoons butter or margarine
Top Glaze for the Lemon Coffee Cake
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar and about 2 teaspoons milk, 1/2 & 1/2, or cream.
- Using the cooking spray, lightly cover only the bottom of a 9-by-13-inch rectangular or a 9-inch round pan with spray.
- In a large mixing bowl, place margarine and sugar and then cream them together.
- Add eggs, beating the mixture between adding each egg.
- Add the lemon yogurt and lemon zest and mix well.
- Add the first measure of flour, baking powder, salt, and soda. Now beat with a hand mixer at the LOW speed until smooth or beat by hand until as smooth as you can make it.
- Spread this batter into your cooking-sprayed pan.
- Cover the cake batter and place in the refrigerator overnight.
Next Day: Baking the Cake
- In the morning, place the pan of batter on your counter and let it heat up to room temperature at the same time you preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a small mixing bowl, add all the Crunchy Topping ingredients and mix together completely.
- Sprinkle this topping over the top of the cake batter already in the pan.
- Bake 30 minutes or longer, until a knife blade cut into the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Remove cake from oven and cool on a cooling rack for 10-15 minutes and carefully remove the cake from the pan onto a serving plate.
Last Step: Top Glaze
- In a mixing bowl, place the confectioner's sugar and add milk a little at a time, continuing to mix well, until the desired consistency is achieved.
- Drizzle the glaze over the coffee cake and serve.
Delcious for Breakfast or a Snack
Additional Lemon Recipes You Might Enjoy
- How to Make Lemon Pickle
Lemon pickle or pickled lemons can be prepared from citrus recipes that call for the results to be either hot and sour or somewhat sweeter. One recipe takes 30 days of "marinating." We have a variety of recipes and limes may be substituted for...
- Interesting Citrus Recipes: French Lemon Gravy and Orange Pie
We do not usually think of lemon in a gravy, but this recipe is very good. Further along, you'll see recipes for Orange Pie and Pudding and some other citrus delights. They add Spring to any season.
© 2008 Patty Inglish
More by this Author
Ohio had plenty of snow for ice cream making in the Great Blizzard of 1978. Feet and feet of clean white snow...
Try one of these recipes if you have traditionally not enjoyed holiday sweet potatoes. These snacks will change your mind!
After writing resumes, cover letters, and job applications, candidates hope to interview well, impress the hiring officer, and secure the job. Here's what to avoid saying during the interview.