Lemon Custard Cheescake For Diabetics
What Is Diabetes?
Millions of people in the world today are diagnosed with diabetes and the number is increasing every year. When we are diagnosed with diabetes it means our body has trouble turning our food that we consume into energy, and therefore high amounts of glucose is found in the blood.
Although diabetes can be a life threatening illness, it can be properly treated. There may be a few lifestyle changes that you will have to make such as your diet and regular exercise. There are 3 types of diabetes that you can get such a diabetes type 1 , diabetes type 2 and gestational diabetes.
Type 1 Diabetes.
Another name for this condition is called juvenile diabetes, as it usually effects young children. When diagnosed with type 1 diabetes it means your body does not produce enough insulin, which is a hormone found in the pancreas and cannot not turn your blood sugar into energy.
Having high blood sugar can be life threatening and can cause problems if left untreated, so it is important that you have regular check ups with your family doctor.
You usually have to take insulin injections everyday to control your sugar levels in your body and can be quite hard to accept at the beginning of your diagnosis.It is important to remember that diabetes should not stop you from living a healthy and longer life.
Type 2 Diabetes.
This form of diabetes is usually found in mature adults and is the most common diabetes diagnosed today. We usually find individuals at the age of 40 and up getting type 2 diabetes and their body also does not produce enough insulin in the body.
It can be sometimes hard to diagnose this type of diabetes, as symptoms may not be present and is important that you have regular check ups. Getting diagnosed early is very important as it can also lead to more severe health problems in the future.
This usually occurs in women who are pregnant.While a women is pregnant it is quite common to see high blood sugar in the body, and sometimes this can interfere with the production of insulin in the body.
Once the baby is delivered, usually the blood sugar levels go back to normal. There is a small percentage of women who will be diagnosed with gestational diabetes and it can be easily controlled with the right diet and safe blood sugar levels.
Symptoms Of Diabetes.
There are many symptoms of diabetes that you may have experienced and that you should be aware of such as:
- Uncontrollable Thirst- Always feeling thirsty is the first sign that you may have diabetes.
- Always Hungry - Even when you have eaten too much
- Frequent Urination - Especially during the night
- Feeling Tired - Especially if you feel like you are going to pass out and fall asleep
- Lose Weight Rapidly - Losing weight rapidly is always a sign that you should go and see your doctor.
Lemon Custard Cheescake For Diabetics.
Here is an easy recipe for diabetics to try at home and also tastes great.There is approximately 800 Kilojoules per serving,190 calories,and 15 grams of carbohydrates.
Why not try making this recipe the next time you have friends or family over for dinner, and enjoy eating a dessert you can all share.
A packet of wholemeal biscuits, crushed
125 grams of margarine, melted
Half a teaspoon of Nutmeg
A packet of Low Joule Lemon Jelly
Half cup of boiling water
250 grams of cottage cheese
Half a cup of lemon juice
One and a half cups of thick custard, cold
- Add the crushed biscuits,margarine and nutmeg to a bowl and mix well.
- Take a pie dish and press the crumb mixture over the base of the dish, you can then put it in your fridge while you make the custard filling.
- Dissolve jelly crystals or powder in the boiling water and let it cool.
- Combine together the cottage cheese and lemon juice. After that you can add the jelly mixture and stir.
- Then gently fold the custard into the mixture, pour over the biscuit crumb base that was in the fridge and then refrigerate until set.
When making the custard, combine 3 tablespoons of custard powder and one and a half cups of skim milk. Just make sure the custard is thick and not too runny.
No comments yet.