Lemon, Ginger and Honey: a Comforting and Nourishing Winter Drink
A Mug of Hot Lemon, Ginger and Honey
A healthy ginger, lemon & honey drink which will boost your immune system
When the weather is cold, it's really comforting to curl up in the warmth with a delicious hot drink which will also do you good.
Imagine the scene: you've just come in from the snow, and now you're inside, you've taken off your boots, snugged into your favorite armchair, and you're savoring a steaming mug of honey, ginger and lemon juice, which you prepared earlier.
The good thing about this drink is that you can make a lot more than you need for one day, and keep some of the concentrated mixture in your fridge, just putting a small serving into your mug when needed, adding boiling water. It can also be frozen and put into small plastic containers, to use over several weeks. You would probably need to double up on the amount of ingredients you are using if you want to store the surplus.
This natural fruit juice is better than anything you would buy at your local supermarket, and at least you know what's in it.
Lemon, Ginger and Honey
Health Benefits For Honey, Lemon and Ginger Drink:
N.B. I am not a doctor or a herbalist, but the health benefits of these ingredients are well known:
Honey has natural healing properties
Ginger has anti-inflammatory properties
Lemon has a high vitamin C content
These ingredients have been used over the centuries in many countries as natural healing herbal remedies
Put them all together and Hot Honey, Lemon and Ginger is a very good Cold Remedy.
Equipment needed to make lemon, ginger and honey drink:
- Lemon squeezer
- Potato peeler
- Kitchen knife
- Chopping Board
- Grater or Food Processor
- Small saucepan
Rate this recipe for Lemon, Ginger and Honey Drink
- 4 Lemons
- 1 large piece Fresh Ginger, About the size of your hand
- 4 teaspoons Honey, or to taste
Lemon and Ginger in a Saucepan
Recipe for Lemon and Ginger Drink
- This will be a concentrated ginger and lemon juice, and you add hot water to taste. You might like it strong, or you might like it a bit weaker, so you can experiment until your ginger and lemon drink tastes just right for you.
- Peel the ginger. Then grate it with a cheese grater or you can use the metal chopping device on a food processor to break it down into fragments..
- Squeeze the lemons. Scrape them with a spoon or knife to extract the juicy bits, removing the pips. Pour the juice into a saucepan. Add six teaspoonfuls of honey for a fairly sour drink, or more honey if you like it sweeter. You can use sugar, Hermesetas or Steevia instead or as well. Add a tablespoonful of water.
- Simmer for 3 or 4 minutes. When cool, pour it into containers. You can then store this concentrated mixture in the fridge and freeze some until required.
- Before use, stir the lemon and ginger concentrate, then put about 1 - 2 teaspoonfuls into a mug,adding hot or boiling water. Add more sweetening if desired.
Health Food from Amazon
Echinacea drops to put in Lemon, Ginger and Honey Drink
Is Echinacea really an antidote to colds, or is that just an old wives' tale?
Do you think Echinacea really protects against colds?See results without voting
You might try adding Echinacea or even a spot of Brandy
Echinacea is reputed to ward off colds, or to lessen the effect of a cold if you already have one.
Echinacea is a daisy-like flower which is used by herbalists.
Are the health benefits an old wives' tale, or is all the praise justified? Who am I to say? I'm a lawyer, not a doctor. For me it works. My son sneers and says it's just a placebo; my daughter reckons it is definitely effective.
As for Brandy - if you like alcohol, I think you will find a dash of brandy in your lemon and ginger drink very comforting. Just imagine yourself tucked up in bed with the snuffles, and a steaming mug of aromatic lemon, ginger, honey and brandy......you'll be asleep as soon as your head hits the pillow.
But go easy on the brandy - remember it's for medicinal purposes only, and not an excuse for partying and self-indulgence!
More of my pages - about hot soup and lemons
- Quick and Easy Butternut Squash Soup Recipe
Butternut Squash Soup is slightly sweet, and can be eaten hot or cold. It is very easy to prepare, and the whole process can be done in 20 minutes. It is therefore a good recipe for the inexperienced cook. Simple butternut squash soup is not only del
- Beetroot Soup or Borscht Recipe
Borscht or Beetroot Soup is a traditional Jewish delicacy. Borsht is also a popular traditional soup throughout Eastern Europe, from Russia to Poland and Bulgaria, so, clearly, the Jews brought the recipe with them when they left Eastern Europe in th
- Lemon: The Best Fruit Ever
Lemons, of Course! You would be amazed by the many things lemons can be used for, from food and drinks to domestic cleaning, odour removal, anti- bacterial and freckle removal. Save yourself some money by learning a few of the secrets that large corp
Himalayan Ginger Lemon Honey Drink (not the way I would make it, but it's good to have alternatives)
You might find This Useful:
- Ginger Tea - Best Herbal Remedy | Ferns Blog
Ginger Tea - the best herbal remedy for stomach disorder, heartburn, constipation, cold and flu. This ginger is different and has many medical benefits.
More by this Author
An easy recipe, suitable for beginners, showing how to make delicious leek and potato soup. Very few ingredients needed - leeks, onions potatoes and common flavorings to make this gourmet soup.
Easy to follow guide to how to make Shepherds Pie, with a little humor and advice about alternatives as well as a simple explanation of the bare bones of the recipe. Beginners will feel encouraged that they too can...
Butternut Squash Soup is slightly sweet, and can be eaten hot or cold. It is very easy to prepare, and the whole process can be done in 20 minutes. It is therefore a good recipe for the inexperienced cook. Simple...