Letchon Manok Filipino Roasted Chicken
Do You Like Letchon Manok
Perfect Crispy Skin
Roast a Whole Chicken
Roasting an entire chicken whether with a rotisserie or baking in an oven is something that many people enjoy doing. The following recipe is for creating the flavor that is found in a traditional Filipino BBQ chicken, known locally as Letchon Manok. The marinade is a blend of several Asian staple ingredients and herbs and best, when marinated for at least 4 hours, but over night is even better.
The crispy chicken skin is what makes this dish delicious, and so whether the chicken is getting turned constantly over the fire or turned several times in the oven, the goal is to have a golden, crispy skin around the whole chicken.
Serve hot with rice and vegetables and save the left overs for a sandwich with a special flavor. Make a dipping sauce of soy sauce, vinegar, and chili for a little extra spice and flavor when eating. While the chicken is very moist and the skin very flavorful due to the seasonings and the marinade a little extra dipping sauce or Sriracha hot sauce always makes everything a little bit better.
Do you own a rotisserie for roasting?See results without voting
- 1 Whole Chicken, Remove the giblets and rinse inside
- 6 Cloves Garlic, Chopped into chunks not minced
- 1 Onion, Cut in large chunks
- 3 TBSP Brown Sugar
- 1 Lemon, Squeezed
- 1 TBSP Ginger, Peeled and minced
- 4 TBSP Soy Sauce
- 1 Cup Sprite Soda
- 5 Basil Leaves
- 4 Bay Leaves
- 4 Stalks Lemon Grass, Cut in 2 inch sections
- Salt and Pepper
- Garlic Powder
- Prep time: 4 hours
- Cook time: 1 hour 45 min
- Ready in: 5 hours 45 min
- Yields: One Roasted Chicken
Chickens in a Rotisserie
Instructions for Prepping & Cooking
- First clean the chicken, remove the giblets, neck and rinse the inside lightly. Pat dry with a towel.
- Rub the entire bird down with salt, pepper, and garlic powder make sure to get inside the cavity of the chicken as well.
- In a large bowl combine the following ingredients: sprite, garlic, brown sugar, lemon juice, soy sauce, ginger, onion, and a little extra ground black pepper.
- Place the chicken in your marinade bowl and soak the chicken. Make sure to soon marinade into the inside of the bird. Let it rest in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour, but preferably up to 4 hours. Turn the chicken every hour to get an even distribution of the flavor. Soaking it overnight is best and will give maximum flavor, make sure to rotate the chicken in the morning.
- When you are ready to bake or roast the chicken if you have the ability to do an open pit rotisserie, drain the chicken from the marinade and get is ready for stuffing with the remaining ingredients.
- Stuff the inside cavity of the chicken with some of the marinade and onion and garlic chunks. Also stuff it with the lemon grass, bay leaves, basil, a couple fresh cloves of garlic. Put a little black pepper, salt, and garlic powder on the outside and seal it up for going into the oven.
- Turn the oven on to 375 degrees and place the chicken on a roasting pan so it is elevated from the surface of the pan. If you do not use a roasting pan it will not get crispy all the way around, the bottom will be soggy.
- Bake for at least 1 hour and 45 minutes or longer if needed to fully cook. Rotate the chicken every 30-45 minutes in order to get a crispy finish on the skin on all sides.
- Always allow the chicken to rest for 5 - 10 minutes before serving. Serve with rice and your favorite vegetables and enjoy this tasty and delicious meal.
Rotisserie Chicken Over Coals
Serve with Rice
As with all delicious Filipino foods the letchon manok is served with rice and a soy sauce, vinegar, and chili dipping sauce. Pour your favorite concoction for a dipping sauce and pile your plate up with rice and rip off a piece of chicken and enjoy. The meat will fall off the bone and combined with the rice and sauce will certainly hit the taste buds just right.
The manok shops are a popular lunch or dinner item when you do not feel like cooking in the Philippines. Hop on a trike and go pick up a roasted bird for take out.
More by this Author
Smoking oysters is a delicious method for this exceptional seafood product. The cure and the smoke combination brings out the flavor of the shellfish and makes them very easy to serve with crackers and cheese for a...
Coconut Salad is a favorite fruit in tropical areas due to the fact they are locations that tend to be where there are lots of growing coconuts. Coconut fruit is great for a healthy fruit snack
Building a mobile application by yourself is possible with the "what you see is what you get" mobile app creator tools that are available. Whether you want to make an app for your business, blog, or even just...