An Easy Strawberry Shortcake Recipe
A Favorite Dessert Treat
A good strawberry shortcake has to be everyone's favorite dessert. Whether it's a basic dessert for a family meal, a dessert for a tea or shower, or a decadent, sinfully rich treat for a very special occasion, you can't go wrong with strawberry shortcake.
A strawberry shortcake recipe doesn't have to be difficult or time consuming to be good. My mother's strawberry shortcake was as simple as they come, but it was delicious! She didn't actually use a recipe.
Here are the instructions for
Mother's Strawberry Shortcake
- 1 one-egg cake
- 1 pint of whipping cream, whipped, sweetened and flavored with a bit of vanilla
- 1 pint of strawberries, washed, sliced, sprinkled with sugar and allowed to sit until juice forms in the bowl
Bake the one-egg cake in an eight inch square pan. I'll include a recipe for a one-egg cake below. Cool the cake in the pan, remove from pan and slice in half to form two layers. Assemble at serving time. Spread whipped cream over the top of one layer, then spoon half the strawberries and juice over this. Place the second layer over the top of the whipped cream and berries. Place the remaining whipped cream over the top, then add the remaining berries and juice.
Recipe for Simple One-Egg Cake
- 1 3/4 cups flour
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 egg
Method: Combine flour, baking powder and salt in a bowl. Set aside. In a second bowl, mix together the sugar and butter. When well mixed, at the egg and mix until light. Add milk and dry ingredients to the batter alternately, one third at a time. Blend. When batter is moist, pour into prepared eight in pan and bake at 350 F for about 45 minutes or until tester comes out clean.
Strawberry Shortcake Related Products on Amazon
This is an ideal cake pan for baking your plain cake to use for your strawberry shortcake
A Recipe for Traditional Strawberry Shortcake
Traditionally, strawberry shortcake is made with a biscuit-like base. The recipe below is for a this type of traditional dessert.
Incidentally, you are not limited to using strawberries in a shortcake. Try this recipe with other fruit, such as raspberries, blackberries, pineapple or peaches.
- First, set aside about a dozen large strawberries to be used as decoration. Wash, hull and slice remaining strawberries. Add 1/4 cup of sugar and let sit to form juice.
- To make the dough, sift the dry ingredients together, including the 2 tsp of sugar. Using a pastry blender, cut in the hard butter until it is the size of small peas. Add milk, mixing quickly until the flour is moistened. Press dough into a ball. Pat it out on lightly floured board until it is 3/4 of an inch thick. Cut in rounds with floured three inch cutter, then bake on an ungreased cookie sheet at 450 degrees Fahrenheit for eight or nine minutes. Remove from pan and allow to cool.
- Whip cream, adding the 2 tbsp sugar while whipping. Fold in vanilla.
- To assemble, slice the biscuits in half, buttering if desired. Spoon some whipped cream on the bottom half, and cover with a few strawberries. Place top half over this, sandwich style. Add more whipped cream and garnish with strawberries.
- 2 cups flour
- 4 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp cream of tartar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp sugar, white
- 1/2 cup butter, hard
- 2/3 cup milk, cold
- 1 quart strawberries
- 1/2 pint whipping cream
- 1/4 cup sugar, white
- 2 tbsp sugar, white
- 1 tsp vanilla
Rate This Recipe
More by this Author
Healthy weight loss can be much easier than you ever imagined when you implement the simple act of meridian tapping, or EFT (emotional freedom techniques). Its easy to learn and costs nothing to do.
Using a bread machine is a great time saver and much easier than baking bread manually, especially if you keep these tips in mind.
This article provides a selection of easy Christmas crafts that you can make for the winter holiday season.