Easy Homemade Baked Onion Ring Recipe
Making Onion Rings From Scratch
This is a great recipe I found and wrote down when I discovered the homemade potato chips recipe from Cooking Light. I am not a huge fan of BBQ flavoring and their recipe was for barbecue-flavored onion rings so I tweaked the recipe to my own tastes but will add the ingredients at the end of the recipe as an option. As in so many snack foods, it is possible to make your own and save on the calories and fat. I find these to be a delicious accompaniement to sandwiches, burgers or just plain snacking!
RECIPE FOR ONION RINGS - Makes 12 servings
- 6 tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 4 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 pound Vidalia, Bermuda or other sweet onions – cut in 1/4-inch thick slices and separated into rings (about 4 large)
- 3 cups dry breadcrumbs, divided
- Cooking spray
- Heat oven to 450 degrees.
- Combine flour, sugar, (and spices below if desiring BBQ flavored onion rings) salt and eggs in a large bowl.
- Dip onion rings into flour mixture.
- Place 1/4 of the onion rings to a zip-lock plastic bag. Zip closed.
- Add 3/4-cup breadcrumbs, shaking bag to coat the onion rings.
- Repeat procedure with remaining onion rings and remaining breadcrumbs 3/4 cup at a time (so 4 batches in total).
- Arrange onion rings in a single layer on baking sheets coated with cooking spray.
- Lightly spray the onion rings with cooking spray.
- Bake at 450 for 5 minutes.
- Rotate the pans on racks and bake 5 more minutes.
- Turn the onion rings over, lightly spray again with cooking spray and bake 5 more minutes.
- Rotate the pans again and bake 5 more minutes or until crisp.
FOR BBQ FLAVORING ADD TO DRY INGREDIENTS
- 2 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
Approximately 190 calories per 1/2 cup of onion rings.
Some Of The Reported Health Benefits Of The Onion
The lowly onion is credited with the following health benefits:
- Cancer fighter
- Antimicrobial for bacteria forming in the colon - it is reportedly a deterrent against colon tumors
- Promotes airflow and guards against bronchitis, asthma and lung infections
- Fights atherosclerosis and is reported to have many coronary and circulatory benefits
- They are cholesterol-free and low in calories
- Evidence suggests that the onion may be effective against such things as the common cold, heart disease, diabetes, osteoporosis, and other diseases
Onion Rings And Dipping Sauce
Buy Here On Amazon
More To Buy Here On Amazon
More How To Make Onion Rings From Scratch
- Old Fashioned Onion Rings - All Recipes
This is an actual recipe from a former employee of a popular drive-in restaurant. Crispy coated onion rings like the pro's make!
- Cooks.com - Recipe - Homemade Onion Rings
- How to Make Homemade Onion Rings - wikiHow
wikiHow article about How to Make Homemade Onion Rings.
All About The Onion Ring On Wikipedia
Link To Homemade Potato Chips - Light Recipe
- Light Recipe - Make Your Own Healthy Potato Chips
For most of us who are on a diet, potato chips would seem a prohibitive addition to our daily intake. However, these potato chips are an incredible way to cut calories and still feel like you are 'indulging'...
More by this Author
Nachos is a favorite for many people - for dinner or for a snack/appetizer. With this healthy recipe for Pork Tenderloin Nachos, you can eliminate the guilt of making nachos or eating them! This is a recipe that I...
- EDITOR'S CHOICE14
I made this recipe up after I had gone out to dinner one night and had the best appetizer ever! It was a sort of flat bread topped with mushrooms, spinach and feta cheese. When I asked the servers at the...
- EDITOR'S CHOICE2
I learned the hard way not to put an ice pack directly on my skin. Here's how to treat ice burns quickly, and how to avoid them as well.