After Dinner Drink Recipes
On special occasions such as; Christmas, Valentine's Day, anniversaries or when having guests over my husband loves to come up with different after dinner drink combinations. A few of my favorites that he makes include a hot chocolate base along with various liquors and or liqueurs.
For the first of the following dessert drink recipes you will need Baileys, Carolan, or O'Darby's Irish cream liqueur. If you prefer to, you can use any of the various Irish cream liqueurs, as they will go quite well for these drinks too. You will also need Kahlua, Rum, hot chocolate, whipped cream and a maraschino cherry or two.
Cook Time (Boiling the water)
You can either use homemade whipped cream, Reddi-wip or Cool Whip. Either one is quite tasty. I usually use whipped cream in a can for convenience sake.
Irish Cream Hot Chocolate
- Start by boiling water in a kettle or pot.
- Fill the cup about a quarter of the way up from the bottom and add 1 1/2 tablespoons of hot chocolate mix. Stir really well.
- Next add 1 - 1 1/2 ounces of rum and stir.
- Next add 1 ounce of Kahlua and stir.
- Then for the top add 1 1/2 ounces of Irish cream and give your drink one last stir.
- For the topping add the whipped cream. Use as much as you like and top with a cherry or two.
Making Whipped Cream
Whipped Cream Recipe
To make your own whipped cream you will need to chill a large bowl and electric beater or a whisk. In the chilled bowl whip 1 cup of heavy cream until stiff and peaks form. Add and beat in 1 tablespoon of confectioner's sugar along with a teaspoon of vanilla extract. Beat until peaks form.
Hot Buttered Rum
A drink that will cure all that ails you and make you sleep like a baby. Hot Buttered Rum using Appleton Estate Jamaica Rum.
One year when my sister in law was over visiting my husband asked her if he could make her a drink. She wanted to know what kind of drink it was and his reply was, just let me make it, you try it, and I know you'll love it.
I call this the Blender-less Mudslide as it is quite similar to the Mudslide drink.
By the way..... she loved it.
- Irish Cream (We use Baileys, Carolan or O'Darby's)
- Cream, or 1/2 & 1/2 or light cream
- (At Christmastime eggnog is quite good to use in this recipe rather than the cream & milk)
- Ice cubes
- In a sixteen ounce glass add 2-4 ice cubes.
- Add into the glass 1 1/2 ounces each of Vodka, Kahlua and Irish cream.
- Add 4 ounces of cream and four ounces of milk. Stir and serve with a straw.
- If you prefer you can use all milk rather than cream and milk.
Whenever Serving Alcohol
Wherever serving alcohol to guests please remember to be a responsible host or hostess. Never allow guests to drive home if they have had too much to drink. Offer to put them up for the night, call a cab, or have someone that has not been drinking drive them home.
The basic rule of thumb is for each ounce of liquor consumed one should wait at least 45 minutes to an hour after finishing the drink before operating a motor vehicle. However the best rule is if you plan to drink, plan to not drive.
If you happen to have too many of any of these dessert drinks please visit the following hub by drjb, "Avoiding a Hangover", for some great advice.
There are so many variations of dessert coffees that you can make. A couple that we like are made by starting with a pot of fresh brewed coffee.
Pour the coffee into individual cups leaving enough room to add 1 to 1 1/2 ounces of rum, 1 ounce of Kahlua, and 1 ounce of Bailey's or your choice of an Irish cream.
Top this off with whipped cream.
If you prefer a coffee with less alcohol omit the rum.
Of course coffee with Bailey's or coffee with Kahlua is good as well.
Liquor Drink Recipes
More by this Author
By marinating a blade steak before cooking it will come out juicy and tender.
Easy to follow recipe that can be on the table in forty five minutes. Made with a honey garlic sauce making the chicken moist and flavorful.
In this easy to follow recipe I've added other ingredients to Zatarain's Jambalaya mix to make it go further and feed more people. Pictures included with recipe.