Liver and Bacon Casserole Recipe the Kids Will Love
I learned this recipe for liver and bacon casserole years ago, and it really is a most wonderful dish - easy to prepare - cheap to buy the ingredients, and the kids love it.
It's a great way to get them to eat liver, if they are a bit fussy.
Being a very cheap family meal means that if you are living on a budget, liver and bacon casserole could easily become a staple, knowing that your kids are getting plenty of iron and vitamins A and C, as well as protein and zinc.
What you'll need is:
- 1lb liver - lamb is tender, but beef or pig's liver have more flavor
- 4oz bacon, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 14oz tin of chopped tomatoes
- a little bit of oil for frying
- some seasoned flour
- 1 tablespoon Worcester sauce
- ½ pint stock - ham stock is best
How to cook liver and bacon casserole
- Fry the onion and bacon together in the oil for a few minutes to soften, then put in casserole dish.
- Chop the liver into bite-sized pieces, and lightly coat in the seasoned flour.
- Fry the liver for a few minutes until it has changed color, then remove to casserole to join the onions and bacon.
You can add a little more flour at this stage if you like, but it's not strictly necessary. Gently cook the flour in the oil.
- Mix your stock with the remaining oil in the saucepan. This will have thickened a little with the flour to coated the liver in.
- Bring up to boil, then add the tin of chopped tomatoes.
- Add the Worcester sauce.
- Mix well, then pour the mixture over the liver, onions and bacon in the casserole dish.
- Put the lid on.
- Place in a hot oven - 180C for 45 minutes.
Liver and bacon casserole is delicious served with boiled potatoes and a green vegetable.
Liver seems to something that people either love or hate - no in between. Do you?See results without voting
More by this Author
You may have heard of Millionaire's Shortbread. It is a 3 layer tray-bake cookie that is divided up into squares once it is ready. The recipe requires shortbread on the bottom, toffee in the middle and chocolate over...
Looking for some Pirate of the Caribbean cake and cupcake toppers to make your child's theme party complete? Here are some of the best and most affordable you can buy, along with a recipe for that perfect sponge cake...
We use our hands all the time, and yet hardly given them a second thought, except to make sure they are clean. Our hands can tell us so much about our health, if only we knew what to look for. From the shape, texture...