Loaded Baked Potato Soup Recipe
A Great Soup For Fall and Winter
This baked potato soup is a very hearty soup, that is perfect to make as a meal or a side dish on cold nights. I make it several times a year, and it is one of my family's favorite dishes. It's a bit time consuming, that's why I only make it a few times a year, but it is well worth the effort. This would be a great thing to make for a small family gathering, or a nice dinner at home. Even though it's summer when she visits, my daughter insists on having this at least once while she is here. It takes what we all love about baked potatoes, and puts it center stage, as a great main course.
- 2 1/2-3 lbs potatoes
- 3 Tbs butter
- 2 Tbs flour
- 1/3-1/2 lb bacon
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 4 Cups milk
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp fresh cracked pepper
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/8-1/4 tsp cayenne (to taste)
- 2 Cups shredded cheddar
- 1 Cup shredded mozzarella
- 1/2 Cup shredded monterey jack cheese
- 4 green onions, sliced
I Used a Round Baking Dish Instead...and these dishes are perfect!!!
- Pierce the potatoes in several places with a fork and bake at 400 degrees for 50 minutes. This is important, so that your potatoes don't explode. You could also cook the potatoes in the microwave, but this actually takes longer, due to the number of potatoes you need to use.
- While the potatoes are baking in the oven, cook the bacon in a large skillet until crisp. Remove the bacon, and set aside to cool. Reserve 3 Tbs of the bacon fat.
- Let the potatoes cool, crumble the bacon and set it aside.
- Once the potatoes are cool, scoop the flesh into a bowl and mash it. Some lumps are OK. They will cook down a bit later on. You can even leave a bit of the skins on the potatoes, as it adds flavor.
- In a large pot, add the butter and the reserved bacon fat, and heat it up over medium heat. Add in the chopped onion, and cook for 3 minutes. Sprinkle the flour over the onion, and cook for an additional minute.
- Slowly whisk in the milk. Stir in the salt, pepper, nutmeg and cayenne. (Sometimes I add a dash of cumin at this point, as well. It adds a bit of smoky flavor)
- Add in the mashed potatoes and bring to a simmer. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. It is important to stir, as it tends to stick to the bottom of the pot if you don't.
- Take the three different cheeses and gently mix them together. Add about 2 cups of the cheese, half the bacon and half the green onions to the soup. Stir to combine.
- Pre-heat the broiler. Divide the soup among flame-proof soup crocks, or pour it all into a large, oven-safe baking dish. Sprinkle the remaining cheese on top of the soup. Broil for 3 minutes to melt the cheese.
- Let cool for about 5 minutes after you remove it from the oven. Garnish with sour cream and the remaining bacon and green onions.
Rate This Recipe
More by this Author
Some quick and easy family recipes for dinner or family get togethers.
A great curry chicken recipe that is incredibly easy to make!! Let your slow cooker do most of the work for you!!
A list of some great, lesser-known horror movies. Some of the best horror movies are from smaller, independent studios that are willing to take risks.