Longhorn steakhouse Pork Ossco Buco Recipe
I'm not for certain of you have had the opportunity to have this delicious dish at Longhorn steakhouse, but let me tell you it is so mouth watering. The meat is slow cooked in red wine, and the juice later creates a wonderful gravy that goes over the mashed potatoes.
This is the recipe for Longhorn Steakhouse Ossco Buco. The true recipe however uses veal shanks- even though the menu does not reflect that. I personally will not eat veal- so I gave the alternative pork option. If you are wanting the original recipe- you will want to use the veal.
The pork option is really good. It has a very strong pork taste to it- as the original ossco bucco recipe is supposed to. You will find the pork shanks specifically in a butcher shop. You do not want to use the smoked ones- since you are cooking them.
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- 1 sprig rosemary
- 1 Bay leaf
- 6 pork shanks uncooked, 12-16 oz each (NOT SMOKED)
- optional 3 whole veal shanks 1 lb per shank, if wanting the veal version
- olive oil, for sauté
- 1/2 cup, flour
- 3 large, carrots
- 4 celery stalks
- 1 Small onion
- cheesecloth/ kitchen twine
- 4 cups homemade chicken stock- or veal stock if using veal
- 2 cups red wine
- 1 stick butter
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 2 Packets pork gravy mix
- 1/2 bag Russet potatoes
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 stick of butter
- 1 teaspoon fresh garlic
- Preheat your oven to 300. Take out your pork shanks/ or veal and pat dry. Lightly salt the meat. In a separate bowl add your flour, and one by one start to lightly dust your meat. If you are using the veal- you will need to wrap them in kitchen twine to secure the meat to the bone so it stays on.
- Heat your oil in a large saucepan on the stove on medium heat. Once the oil is hot- gently place your floured meat in the pot and brown all sides. This seals in the juices and makes the meat tender. This will take only approx 3 minutes. Set all you meat aside when done.
- Now its time to make your herb bouquet. Take your rosemary, thyme and bay leaf and place in a center piece of cheesecloth and tie with the twine.. Place aside
- Place your browned meat in a 13x13 inch pan. Add your herb bouquet to the pan.
- Start to cut your onions, celery and carrots. Longhorn cuts the carrots etc in small squares. Set aside
- Place your vegetables on top of your meat. Pour 2 cups of chicken stock over the vegetables, and the red wine. Cover with foil and bake for approximately 3 1/2 hours till done. If you are making the veal- you will want to check after 2 hours to see if it is done.
- When your meat is cooked- you will want to separate the meat from the bone if you have the pork shanks. If you are making this with veal- you will want to slice the meat like it's a rack of ribs- since it is served with the bone.Make sure you remove the twine first. Place you meat on a big serving plate. Discard the bones if you are using pork. Top your meat with the diced vegetables, and discard the herb bouquet. Place the juices from the cooked meat in a large stockpot and begin to boil.
- Once this starts boiling- add your 1/2 stick of butter. Add your 2 remainder cups of stock, and your 2 packets of pork gravy packet. Stir well.
- In a small bowl- add your cornstarch add a little water till it is easy to stir. We will use this to thicken our gravy
- Now add your cornstarch mixture slowly to your boiling pot and continue to stir till it thickens. set aside.
- To make the mashed potatoes- you will want to bake your raw potatoes in the oven on 350 for about an hour. First stick them with a fork so that they cook evenly.
- When they are done- you will want to let them cool a little and peel them. Place all your cooked potato in a large bowl.
- On the stove top heat your butter till it melts. Sauté your garlic in the butter for about a few minutes till the butter gets infused with the garlic.
- Add your butter, heavy whipping cream to your potatoes and mix well. You can add milk to make them less thick if you like.
- Now its time to serve our wonderful dinner. Add your mashed potatoes to a dinner plate. Top with your meat weither you use the pork or the veal. If you use the veal you place the meat standing up around the potatoes like a tent. Drizzle the gravy all of the food in the center and serve.
Awesome Meat Shredder
Here is the recipe for Longhorn Steakhouse Ossco Buco.
Try the pork option it is rather delicious. Its almost as good as the veal. Enjoy...
More by this Author
If you have ever eaten at Pappadeaux's Restaurant- you would know how delicious the crab meat spinach Au gratin is.The recipe itself is secret, but what I can tell you is that this recipe taste identical to...
A very good friend of mine absolutely loves these Fried Mac and Cheese Balls from the Cheesecake factory. I thought I would get this recipe to pass on to her and make them one night for dinner for my family. These are...
This is the original recipe for the Olive Gardens Lasagna Fritta.It is so delicious! It is Parmesan-breaded lasagna pieces, fried and served over Alfredo sauce, topped with Parmesan cheese and marinara sauce. You cant...