Loving Mashed Potatoes: A Non Dairy, Milk Free Recipe
Are You Missing Mashed Potatoes Because You are Allergic to Cow Milk?
• Must you or a family member avoid traditional mashed potatoes with dairy products in them?
• Do you pass on potatoes recipes because they might be made with cow's milk?
• Does a dairy allergy prevent you from serving mashed potatoes to your family?
• Does an allergy to cow's milk keep you from eating beloved mashed potato recipes?
• Do you long for a mashed potato side-dish that you can safely make, serve, and enjoy with your family or guests?
How would you like a dairy free recipe worth trying? ♥
Mashed Potatoes Updated--Cow Milk Free Goodness!
♥ Not many foods sate all the needs that food can meet like mashed potatoes do. There’s just something decent and sound to this side dish that speaks to the fundamental yearnings for home that we all have. They've even been known to be remedies for homesickness!
However, I’ve not found that the typical cow milk substitutes are able to do the job of replicating “Mom’s mashed potatoes.” By adapting a variety of recipes I was glad to finally develop the following dairy free mashed potato recipe that meets the need yet has its own twist.
It isn’t one of those recipes that we expect to be “like Mom’s” but then turns out to have an odd taste that puts us off. It is an upfront change with a flair, yet it is every bit as satisfying, and best of all, it does not leave anyone--cow's milk allergy or no-- wishing for the original mashed potatoes.
*Some quick tips before shopping:
• When available, Yukon Gold potatoes will make your plate happy.
• The kind of salt used counts both for health and taste, ditto for olive oil.
• Fresh chives and lime juice are negotiable since dried/prepackaged can work fine.
- Prep time: 10 min
- Cook time: 20 min
- Ready in: 30 min
- Yields: Serves 6
♥ Creamy, Dreamy Mashed Potatoes for People who need Dairy-Free Recipes
- 8 Potatoes, Medium (Suggest Yukon Gold)
- 1 Teaspoon Salt, (Kosher)
- 1 Avocado, Medium, Diced
- 1/2 Teaspoon Lime Juice, Fresh Squeezed adds Great Flavor
- 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil, (High-Quality)
- 2 Tablespoons Chives, Fresh or Dried
- 1 Teaspoon Salt, Celtic Sea Salt
Rate Cow Milk Free Mashed Potatoes:
- Peel potatoes and slice them fairly evenly.
- Cover potatoes with cold water in a medium-large pot and add the kosher salt.
- Bring to a boil, then simmer potatoes until tender, approximately 20 minutes.
- Drain potatoes, setting aside 1 cup of the liquid.
- Mash potatoes, then stir in avocado, a splash of lime juice, olive oil, chives, and pepper.
- If consistency needs adjusting add reserved cooking water a few tablespoons at a time until the potatoes suit your preference. (I like to alter the consistency when using scoops of potatoes in various ways--baked, etc.)
- Add Celtic salt to taste.
- Serve immediately and enjoy both the dairy-free dish and the satisfied smiles around your table.
Do you need to eat cow milk free foods?See results without voting
Steam Potatoes for Your Diary Free Recipes:
Get to the Avocado and Replace Cow's Milk in Recipes:
Speaking of Potatoes...
Learn more by visiting the following sites. Expand your potato knowledge and get information on the differences between potato varieties, how to grow them, how to store them, and how to use them in cooking.
• Solanum tuberosum--what's edible is important to know so you don't find out the hard way.
• Home grown potatoes are a traditional food crop that is loved by the world.
• Yukon Gold guide for the home gardener who wants to grow this delicate 'tator.
• Check out this nutrient rich vegetable gravy recipe that contains…you know what!
• Discover how easy it is to freeze potatoes for future use.
• Can you have a spring potato harvest, or can you not?
More on Potatoes!
Keep learning about this food staple so you can teach others to grow and use their own:
White Pass was a Hub for People Searching for Yukon Gold!
Where did Yukon Gold Potatoes Come From?
More by this Author
This Harvest White Bean recipe is a hearty Crock Pot soup bean dish with surprise ingredients. It's another cooking experiment that ended happily!
Dried beans never tasted so good nor have they ever been healthier than with this "Pot of Gold Beans" recipe. It's such an easy spice-up for dried beans that you won't believe your taste buds!
Your insomnia may well be caused by products containing artificial sweeteners! Do you know how the brain responds to these products and what is being reported by consumers who have used them?