Low Calorie Asian Chicken Casserole
This recipe is an alternative for those who love to eat egg fu yung but hate the mess of frying or the extra calories from oil. Calories can be adjusted even lower by making the "crust" with a ½ cup of rice per serving, but as is 1/8 of this casserole with ¼ cup of gravy is just under 400 calories. Its texture and flavors will make you think you're eating comfort food.
- 5 cups steamed rice, Cold rice can be used.
- 1 1/2 cups chicken breast, cubed
- 2 cups bok choy, chopped. Include greens.
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 pound mushrooms, sliced
- 48 ounces egg replacement
- 1/4 tsp. Chinese Five Spice
- 1 tbsp. sesame oil
- Salt and white pepper to taste.
- Cook rice. (Cold rice can be used.)
- Spray 9 x 13 pan with cooking spray.
- Create a bed of rice. For a lower calorie dish use ½ cup rice per serving
- Lightly brown chicken in ½ tablespoon of oil.
- Distribute chicken evenly over rice.
- Lightly sauté broccoli and bok choy.
- Sprinkle over chicken.
- Sauté onion and mushrooms until mushrooms release their liquid.
- Add to the casserole, evenly distributing over the surface.
- Pour egg replacement into a bowl and add ¼ tsp. Chinese Five Spice, ½ tablespoon sesame oil, and salt and white pepper to taste
- Bate at 350 until firm. About one hour.
- When done, remove from oven and let set while you make the gravy.
Brown Gravy Topping
- 4 cups chicken broth (99% fat free)
- 1 tablespoon Braggs Liquid Aminos (or soy sauce)
- 2 tsp. onion powder
- 1 tsp. sesame oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup flour
- Heat chicken broth.
- Add 1 tablespoon Bragg's Liquid Aminos or soy sauce.
- Add 2 tsp. onion powder.
- Add 1 tsp. of oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Create a paste with water and flour.
- Wisk into broth mixture until thickened.
Makes Great Leftovers
Cut casserole into 8 pieces. Serve each piece with ¼ cup gravy if you're counting calories. Refrigerate or freeze leftovers to enjoy another day.
How to Make Perfect Rice
Check Out More of My Recipes
- Pepper Steak with Mushrooms
Not everyone in my family likes tomatoes so over the years, my pepper steak recipe has evolved to include mushrooms instead.
- Cheater's Chicken Marsala
Cheater's Chicken Marsala is perfect for busy cooks. It's quick, easy, and delicious.
- Home Style Chicken Pot Pie
This dish brings comfort food creaminess to the table with plenty of vegetables and lean meat.
More by this Author
If you want to build a bird cage, you need a plan, materials and one more thing...a knowledge of birds and their special needs.
Bird owners have mixed feelings about wing clipping. Is it mean to clip your bird's wings? After all they are born to fly. To answer that question, let's take a closer look at how to clip wings and the reasons it is...
Baby cockatiels grow from an inch-long hatchling to adult size in just six weeks. It takes 8-10 days for their eyes to open, but the color of their eyes...even closed eyes offer a clue as to the baby's future color.