Simple Salad Dressing recipe that is Tasty, Healthy & Low Carb
Low Carb Diet
A while ago my husband went on a low carbohydrate diet, and lost 80 pounds.
The diet was proteins and a lot of salads, and that's what this story is about... It was hard to find a dressing for all those salads that was also low carb.
It didn't make sense to put a high calorie, high carb creamy dressing on a low carb salad. Plus, a quick look at the list of chemicals in almost every commercial dressing was enough to turn us off. This was supposed to be a move towards better health...
But... when your two main meals are a small salad with some fat free chicken or ham on it. The dressing is everything!
He resolved to attempt an easy, tasty, salad dressing that contains a minimum of carbs and no chemicals.
It's dead simple...
- Prep time: 10 min
- Ready in: 10 min
- Yields: 2 cups
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup flax seed oil
- 4 to 8 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 tbsp lemon pepper
- 1 tbsp Italian seasoning mix
- Add equal parts organic apple cider vinegar and organic flax seed oil and then grate in garlic. Did I mention we love garlic... put in eight or so cloves. Of course you can use as much, or as little as you like.
- Add a quarter cup of lemon juice. Then use a tablespoon or two each of a dried lemon pepper mix and an Italian herb mix.You can use whatever herbs you like, dried or fresh. All the culinary herbs should work just fine. Some examples would be - Parsley, Basil,Thyme, Chive or Sage, in small doses. Sage is a powerful flavor.
- Mix it up well, and you're done. Into the fridge it goes... Give it a good shake each time you bring it out.
Both raw garlic and flax seed oil need to be refrigerated, or they can go bad, so be careful to keep the dressing in the fridge.
This dressing will last for... Actually, I don't know... he has to make more every week, but at least a month. I'd toss it and try something else if you haven't used it up by then...
An easy, healthy, tasty salad dressing that isn't full of sugar and chemicals and that you can make yourself. Meaning you can control what goes in it.
Rate this Recipe
Yup, there's a bonus.
Raw Garlic, Apple Cider vinegar and Flax Seed oil are said to be some of the healthiest things you can consume...
Garlic is great for the heart and circulatory system. But only when it's raw. Most folks don't know that as soon as you cook garlic it loses all health benefits.
You can find web pages devoted to the benefits of Apple Cider vinegar, and lists of it's health benefits. I know that it helps with losing weight, and keeping it off. That's why it's on our salads!
Same is true for Flax Seed oil, a myriad of benefits...
This mix of ingredients truly does make a tasty, and extremely good for you salad dressing.
The information provided in this article is not a substitute or replacement for professional medical advice. Please consult your physician or alternative health care provider before taking any herbal supplements, home remedies, new products or changing your health regime. Even though we are responsible for our own health, we need the guidance of trained professionals.
© 2011 eye say
More by this Author
Cysts are a very popular medical problem, here's an article featuring what my cyst looked like on the outside and inside!
a simple recipe for delicious cookies ...
After a perforated bowel, 15 + obstructions, several surgeries and complications, it's time to share what I've learned. Yes I am now bowel obsessed.