Low Fat Salad Dressing
Why go low fat?
There are many, many reasons to go with a low fat diet. There are so many that I will be dealing with the most important few, beginning with lowering hypertension and blood pressure. A low fat diet is invaluable to help clean out your arteries and lowwer blood pressure.
Men, you will be happy to hear this - a low fat diet helps to protect you from prostate cancer. Not only that, it will help raise your testosterone to estrogen level. In other words it will help raise your testertone level.
A low fat diet has also been found to, of all things, boost your mood.
Lowering your fat intake also lowers your risk of having a stroke.
Low fat diets help lower the risk of depression. It is thought that those eating fatty foods tend to not eat the foods containing antioxidents which are great mood boosters.
Tips to help lower the fat in your diet.
- Pay attention to the labels on the food that you buy. You need to know just how much fat you are going to ingest with that particular product.
- Choose lean meats and make sure you cut off the additional fat.
- When choosing a side dish, choose vegetables instead of a starch.
- Eat soup. It is nutritional and usually low fat.
- Make fatty foods an occassional treat. That way you are less likely to go overboard when you do have a fatty food.
- Eat a very small portion, a bite or two, of a fatty food if you are craving it.
- Cook your meat by grilling, broiling, or baking instead of frying.
- Cut down on refined carbohydrates.
- Include more whole grains, fruits and vegetables in your diet.
Low Fat Creamy Cucumber Dressing
- 1 cup nonfat plain yogurt
- 1/2 medium cucumber, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice, fresh squeezed
- 1 clove garlic, finely minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/2 tsp parsley
Blend ingredients together in a jar and store in the refrigerator.
This recipe makes 5 servings.
fat 0.1 g
sodium 271 mg
carbohydrates 5 g
fiber 1 g
protein 3 g
Low Fat Balsamic Dressing
- 1 cup plain low-fat yogurt or 1 cup nonfat yogurt
- 1/2 tbsp water
- 1 1/2 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 1/2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp minced garlic
Place a colander into a bowl.
Line colander with 4 layers of cheesecloth. Allow cheesecloth to extend over sides.
Spoon yogurt into colander.
Cover loosely with plastic wrap and refrigerate 12 hours.
Spoon drained yogurt into bowl, discard liquid in the bowl.
Add water, mustard, vinegar and garlic.
Drizzle dressing over salad and toss to coat.
Store remaining dressing in refrigerator.
Makes 4 servings.
Low Fat Avocado Dressing
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 tsp honey
- 2 tbsp cilantro
- 1 avocado
- 3/4 c. milk or rice/soy milk
- 3 tbsp lime juice or about 3 wedges
- 2 tbsp cider vinegar
Mash avocado with a potato masher until creamy.
Add all ingredients and blend well.
Store in refrigerator.
Makes approximately 12 servings.
fat 3 g
cholesterol 1 mg
carbohydrates 4 g
sodium 9 mg
fiber 1 g
protein 1 g
Low Fat Greek Yogurt Ranch Dressing
3/4 cup fat free unflavored Greek yogurt
3/4 cup fat free sour cream
1/3 cup light mayonnaise
1 tsp finely minced garlic
1 tsp onion flakes
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
1 tbsp. white balsamic vinegar
2 cups low fat buttermilk
In a bowl combine all but the last two ingredients. Make sure to mix well.
Add vinegar and stir well.
Add buttermilk and stir well.
Refrigerate overnight before using. Flavors will become bolder and mingled.
*****Nutritional Information, per 1/4 cup serving*****
fat 2.0 g
carbs 5.5 g
protein 3.4 g
sodium 288.8 g
Low Fat Citrus Salad Spray
- 1/3 cup fresh orange juice
- 1/4 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 4 tablespoons fresh cilantro, very finely minced
- 3 tablespoons fresh mint, very finely minced
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
Place all ingredients in a spray bottle and shake well to blend.
Makes several servings depending on how much you use each time.
***Nutritional Information, for 6 squirts***
fat 2.9 g
cholesterol 0 mg
carbohydrates 25 g
sodium 27 mg
fiber 3 g
protein 4 g
Which low fat salad dressing would you most likely try?See results without voting
- 5 Variations on the Simple Olive Oil and Vinegar Sal...
One of the healthiest choices that people make when eating meals is to choose salad over other appetizers. If you're smart, you make sure that you also choose a healthy salad dressing so that you don't defeat the purpose of this starter dish. Many...
- Dressing Recipes for Salad Lovers
What tastes better in this hot muggy weather than a fresh, crisp salad. If you're like me you could eat salad every day. Not only does salad make a great meal but it's also good for you. I know, most of you don't want to hear about your favorite...
- 3 Homemade Easy To Make Dry Salad Dressing Mixes To ...
Great, simple to make dry salad dressing mixes to keep on hand. These mixes store easily, and can be whipped up into tantalizing salad dressings on a moments notice.
- Sally's Oil-free Salad Dressing - An "Eat To Live" F...
This recipe for Sally's rich, creamy, and tart oil-free salad dressing uses ingredients that are compatible with Joel Fuhrman's Eat To Live program.
- Tropical Salad: Low Fat Salad With Low Fat Salad Dre...
Tropical salad is a delicious and easy to make low fat salad with low fat salad dressing. Perfect for parties!
More by this Author
A gift-in-a-jar for pets is a sure way to touch the pet lover in your life. Imagine their delight when they realize that you remembered their little loved one.
Have you ever tried the Amish friendship cake starter? If you haven't you are in for a treat. This started makes the moistest, flavorful cake you'll ever have.
Different styles look better on some than others. We all want to look good, that's a given. To look your best, you need to dress for your body type.