Succulent Low Fat Chicken Burger Recipe
Delicious low fat Spicy Chicken Burger, a midweek dinner that will take 10 minutes to cook, low fat, delicious and healthy - ideal for a busy family.
..... for more fabulous recipes follow me on Pinterest
Please don't let the idea that these are low fat burgers put you off this is not just for people wanting to lose weight, if you want a really satisfying and juicy succulent Chicken Burger then this is what you're looking for, the fact that it's low fat is just an added extra, it's the preparation method of marinating the chicken and quick cooking that ensures that these are ultra-juicy, I don't think I've ever seen any meal disappear faster than these burgers do, my children managed to eat theirs before I was halfway through mine, this is my favourite filling, satisfying and ultra quick dinner to make when I'm too tired or busy to cook.
- 400g Free Range Chicken Breasts or Fillets, skinless
- 1 Organic Red or White Onion, small
- 3cm Fresh Ginger, grated or sliced
- 1 tablespoon Groundnut or Vegetable Oil
- 1.5 teaspoon Soft Brown Sugar
- 1 tablespoon Thai Fish Sauce
- 1 tablespoon Balsamic Vinegar
- the juice of 2 segments of an Organic Orange
- 4 Bread Rolls, large
- Organic Salad Leaves
- Organic Cucumber, thinly sliced
- Organic Tomatoes, sliced
Marinating the Chicken:
- If you are using the chicken breasts using a sharp knife and a flat board you will need to slice them into pieces that are 1cm in depth and trim to discard any sinew or tendons.
- However if you are using chicken fillets these will already be in slices about the right size and all you will need to do is the trimming.
- Now cut any larger slices that won't fit into your burgers although a little hangover looks very appealing.
- Mix together the marinade of small Red or White Onion (finely chopped), grated or sliced Ginger, Groundnut or Vegetable Oil, Soft Brown Sugar, Thai Fish Sauce (Nam Pla) and the Balsamic Vinegar.
- Pour the marinade over the chicken and stir to make sure that the chicken is thoroughly coated.
- Cover the bowl with clingfilm and place in a fridge to marinate for several hours or preferably overnight.
In a small dish combine 2 tablespoons of Mango Chutney and 1 tablespoon of Low Fat or Non-Fat Greek Yoghurt and stir, I use a chopstick which is ideal for stirring small amounts and you won't lose any of the mixture.
Cover and place in the fridge until serving.
Cooking the Chicken:
- Remove the chicken from the fridge so that it comes up to room temperature before you start to cook.
- This chicken is very versatile and can be cooked in different ways, dry fried in a good non-stick frying pan, placed on a hot griddle, under a medium heat grill/broiler or on your barbecue if you're lucky enough to be having beautiful weather.
- Whichever way you choose to cook the chicken it will only take 3-4 minutes per side.
- When you turn the chicken over to the second side sprinkle the chicken with the freshly squeezed orange juice.
- Halve the burger buns and spread a little of the dressing on each half.
- Top with crisp salad leaves, slices of tomato, thinly sliced cucumber.
- Pop the chicken pieces on top of the salad and drizzle over some more of the sweet cooling dressing.
I like to prepare the chicken and dressing the night before we're having it, ideal for when your family is having a really busy day and you don't want to cook and you don't want to resort to buying fast food/takeaway. Any meal that is homemade, healthy and takes less than 10 minutes to cook on a busy day is a lifesaver in my house.
I like to serve these with lightly spiced Garlic Oven Fries and a salad with pieces of orange segment, and if we're feeling extra hungry some homemade Apple Coleslaw on the side. With Summer fast approaching and the fact that these are so tasty and quick I'm sure these burgers will become favourites in your home.
|Calories from Fat||99|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 11 g||17%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
If you loved this recipe I'm sure you'll feel the same about these:
- Spanish Tortilla (Tortilla de Patatas)
Recipe for Spanish Tortilla - easy and scrumptious.
- Succulent Spicy Spatchcocked Chicken
Spicy spatchcocked chicken, in the oven or on the BBQ/barbecue it's fabulous.
- Succulent Slow Roasted Lamb Recipe
This Slow Roasted Lamb means that you can be with your guests while dinner is cooking to perfection.
- Marinated and Griddled Lamb Chops with Pea Risotto
My New Year Resolution is to adopt a healthier eating lifestyle here is Day One and a recipe for Griddled Marinated Lamb with Pea Risotto.
- Fettucine with Spicy Seafood Sauce
Day 13 of my Healthy Eating Plan with recipe for Fettucine with Spicy Seafood Sauce.
- The Best Chicken Lasagna Recipe
Lasagna, glorious, cheesy, meaty lasagna to make you and your family happy and full to bursting.
- Lemon & Peppered Chicken Kebabs
Day 11 of my Healthy Eating Plan with a great recipe for Lemon & Pepper Chicken Kebabs - delicious!
- Lemon, Thyme and Balsamic Chicken Wings
Crispy, succulent chicken wings perfect finger food that hits the spot every time.
- Delicious Sticky Pork BBQ Ribs
Day Eight of the Healthy Eating Plan with recipe for Sticky Pork Ribs.
- Warming Winter Beef Cobbler
An easy warming Beef dish that is filling and can be prepared in advance - perfect for a cold Winter's day.
- Delicious Spinach Soup
Rich dark green glossy Spinach Soup - a nutritious supper for your family.
Here are some Low Fat Cookery Books to encourage you to eat your way to a healthy heart and body:
More by this Author
Looking for simple recipes for an evening meal, then how about this easy warming Beef recipe that is filling and can be prepared in advance - perfect for a cold Winter's day and a hungry family.
Good hearty body-warming food for the soul - Chicken Broth the perfect Scottish dish.
May's selection of wonderful craft projects that I hope you'll love
No comments yet.