Low-Fat Vietnamese Braised Fish In Caramel Sauce Recipe (Ca Kho To)
Ca kho to is Vietnamese fish dish simmered in caramel sauce. Kho refer to Vietnamese cooking technique in preserving and cooking meat or protein source such as beef, pork or fish is simmer in low heat or the result is known as "dried stew".
Traditionally fish kho is prepared on clay pot ("To") but you can use either stainless steel or aluminum pot. It made of catfish but if you can use either cold, salmon or other fish with high fat content. This is a rich dish either in color or in flavor.
Here is how to make ca kho to at home. This recipe is a low-fat version. The fish stew is enriched with very little of cooking oil instead of pork fat or pork belly. Coco caramel sauce is available for purchase at Asian supermarket or you can make your own at home. Caramel sauce is simply just burned sugar. Cook and simmer 3 tablespoon of sugar and 1/4 cup of sugar until it becomes dark in color and thick.
What You Need
1 1/2 lbs catfish, cleaned, cut into 3 or 4-inch pieces
1/2 tbsp brown sugar
3 tbsp Coco caramel sauce
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/3 tsp salt
3 spring onions, cut into 2-inch lengths
2 tbsp fish sauce
1/2 tbsp minced garlic
1 tbsp minced ginger
1 tbsp cooking oil
1/2 cup coconut juice
How to Fix
- In a mixing bowl, combine cat fish pieces, sugar, salt, pepper, fish sauce, and caramel sauce. Set aside for 30 minutes to marinate.
- Heat a saucepan over high heat. When hot, add oil, garlic and ginger. Stir-fry for 30 seconds or until fragrant. Add fish pieces and cook undisturbed for about 2 minutes. Add spring onion, marinade liquid and coconut juice. Bring to a boil.
- Simmer for about 30 minutes or until the liquid has reduced by half. At this stage, a sweet-gooey but savory dried stew is formed.
- Taste and adjust the flavor by adding salt or brown sugar. Transfer the fish to a bowl and pour the sauce over the fish pieces.
More Vietnamese Recipes
- Vietnamese Cashew Chicken (Ga Xao Hot Dieu) Recipe
How to make a healthy cashew chicken dish. A Vietnamese stir-fry dish.
- Vietnamese Grilled Lime Chicken (Ga Nuong Chanh) Recipe. How To Make Grilled Chicken On Skewers!
How to make exotic fragrant grilled chicken.
- Vietnamese Tomato Egg Drop Recipe (Canh Ca Chua Trung)
- Vietnamese Beef Rice Noodle Soup (Pho Bo) Recipe
- Vietnamese Stuffed Squid Recipe (Muc Nhoi Thit) Recipe
Ca Kho To
More by this Author
How to make Vietnamese beef stew (bo kho) at home. A hearty beef dish.
Vietnamese Crispy Noodles with Chicken and Shrimp Stir-Fried - Mi Xao Don Thap Cam This is Vietnamese interpretation of Chinese panfried noodles or crispy chow mein. Mi Xao Don Thap Cam is crispy panfried egg noodles...
How to prepare Vietnamese chicken noodle (pho ga) at home. It's not as difficult as you think.