Macaroni and Cheese-Homemade
Homemade Macaroni and Cheese can be creamy and delicious yet healthy at the same time! Neufchâtel Cheese and Chicken Broth make it lower in fat and calories and Whole Wheat Pasta offers the benefit of providing essential nutrients.
What is Neufchâtel Cheese?
- Neufchâtel Cheese originates in France where it is a soft, unripened cheese that usually comes in the shape of a Heart
- In 1872 a New York dairyman created the first American Cream Cheese as a result of his attempt at creating Neufchâtel Cheese
- American Neufchâtel is about 33% lower in Fat, has slightly more Protein and contains more Moisture
- Low Fat or Light Cream Cheese can be substituted for Neufchâtal Cheese.
Benefits of Whole Wheat Pasta
"Unlike traditional pastas made of refined durum wheat, or semolina, whole-grain noodles don't lose their bran and germ during processing. Bran, the outer skin of a whole grain, and the germ, or embryo of the grain, carry considerable healthful fats, protein, antioxidants, B vitamins, minerals, and fiber. One of these minerals, magnesium, increases the body's sensitivity to insulin, which may help to lower the risk of diabetes. And dietary vitamin E, folate, and fiber may reduce the risk of heart disease. Another thing high-fiber diets might do is drive down harmful glucose, insulin, and fat levels in the blood." ~Dorothy Foltz-Gray
- 2 cups of Fat Free, Reduced Sodium Chicken Broth
- 3 TBS Flour
- 1/4 tsp. Ground Nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp. Granulated Garlic
- 1/4 tsp. Ground Mustard
- 1/2 tsp. Paprika
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 2 ounces Neufchâtel Cheese
- 2 cups Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- 1/4 cup Panko or Italian Bread Crumbs
- 1 lb. Whole Wheat Elbow Pasta
Prepare Macaroni and Cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Boil Elbow Pasta Aldente
- Spray a 9X13 pan with Non-Stick Cooking Spray
- Add Chicken Broth, seasonings and flour to a medium saucepan
- Warm ingredients on medium low heat while whisking to mix well
- Add Neufchâtel Cheese and 1 1/2 cups Cheddar Cheese and stir continuously until melted
- In a separate bowl combine 1/4 cup Bread Crumbs and 1 TBS melted Butter
- Place pasta in prepared 9X13 pan and cover with sauce
- Top with remaining 1/2 cup of Cheddar Cheese and Bread Crumbs
- Bake uncovered until Cheese is melted and slightly bubbly and Bread Crumbs are golden brown, about 20 minutes
Pumpkin Macaroni and Cheese
More by this Author
My sister gave me a gorgeous potted tuberous Begonia that thrived and bloomed all summer. My goal is to keep this "annual" flower safely stored for the Winter and restart it in the Spring.
Butterfly Pork Chops have little fat to trim off and are so tender. Pork Chops with Mushroom Gravy is a very simple recipe that I have been making for years. Few ingredients are needed, it's easy to throw together at...
Does a rubber oil pan drain plug work. Not really. The self threading piggy back oil pan drain plug cold welded in place is the answer!