Best Christmas Magic Recipes: Red and Green Stuffing
Spicy Holiday Dressing or Stuffing
This recipe is a flavorful, tangy addition for Christmas menus, but is also quite good with Mexican and Spanish foods during other times of the year. Serve it with large salads and alongside meats for a different type of flare in your cooking.
The combination of vegetables, spices, and nuts among the ingredients provide an inviting variety of flavors and textures in this dish. In order to extend and transform it into a main dish for lunches, add 1/2 pound of cooked chunked chicken or turkey.
Cook Time: Red and Green Stuffing
Please rate this stuffing recipe. Thanks!
Red and Green Stuffing
- 2 Cups unseasoned bread croutons
- 2 medium onions, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 small zucchini, finely chopped
- 1 medium red or yelow bell pepper, coarsely chopped
- 3 carrots, finely chopped or shredded
- 6 ribs celery, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon red cayenne pepper, or increase to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried for fresh & chopped basil
- 1 teaspoon ground sage
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- A dash each of onion powder
- A dash of garlic powder
- 3/4 Cup chopped almonds
- At least 7 slices of un-toasted whole wheat bread with the crusts removed and the bread cut into bite sized cubes.
- 2 eggs or 1/2 cup liquid egg substitute, well-beaten with a fork.
- 2 cups chicken broth [more if mixutre is too dry]
Notes and Tips
- To cook this stuffing inside a turkey, place 3/4 cup of the stuffing mixture per pound of turkey loosely in the cavity of the bird.
- Make sure the stuffing mixture is moist in order to stop bacteria growth; add some chicken broth before placing stuffing into the bird, if the mixture is dry.
- Avoid cross contamination by washing utensils and counter tops before going on to prepare another dish.
- Remember also to use hot mitts or towels that are heavy enough to prevent burns when you remove your stuffing or stuffed turkey for your oven. Newer hot mitts are especially heat resistant.
A casserole For Christmas
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- In large mixing bowl, combine your bread croutons and the chicken broth. Set aside for 10 minutes so the crouton cubes can soak up the flavors can soften.
- Cut up onions, zucchini, carrots and celery in food processor or by hand. Place in a microwave-safe bowl of a medium size and cover; cook on high for 5 minutes.
- In a small bowl, mix together black pepper, cayenne pepper, red pepper, salt, basil, sage, sugar, onion powder, garlic powder, and finally, the almonds. Add the already microwaved vegetables to the crouton cubes and broth mixture and mix.
- Sprinkle your herb mixture over the top of your dressing.
- Add pieces from the 7 bread slices and then the eggs to the mixture and mix well. Let this stand for 5 minutes to meld flavors and rest and then remix. Add additional bread, if needed, if the mixture is soupy. Mixture will be very moist but it should not be dripping wet.
- Coat a 2-quart ovenproof bowl with vegetable cooking spray and wipe off any excess that begins to run. Then add the dressing.
- Bake in a the preheated 400-degrees F oven for 60 minutes or until nicely browned and set. Makes 6-8 side dish servings or 4-6 full-size for lunches. Serve hot at the table.
Additional Information You Might Find Useful
- Best Philippine Christmas Dishes
Reports are that Christmas in the Philippines begins on December 16th and extends to the First Sunday of January. The Land of Fiestas enjoys Christmas as no other holiday is celebrated in the Philippine islands. Special decorations and special foods
- Cajun Holiday Cuisine: Foods and Recipes
Cajun is a name for a culture of people with a rich intermixed heritage and lots of good food. I know about them because of three famous Cajuns I have read about, met, or seen on television programs.
- God and Other Celebrities Born on December 25th
Two dieties and dozens of well known mortals have been born on December 25th...
- A Breakfast For Reindeer to Make at Home
Here are some Holiday breakfasts or anytime-snack treats ... even one for Santa's Reindeer.
- Christmas Traditions: Have Yourself a Mexicali Christmas! - The Legend of the Poinsettia
Pointsettia, the Star that bloomed in Love.
- Recipes for Celebrating The 12 Days of Christmas In Ireland
The Irish have celebrated the 12 Days of Christmas from Christmas Eve through the night of January 5-6 [Twelfth Night], plus the closest Monday - Handsels Day, upon which children receive small presents again...Lots of ideas!
© 2007 Patty Inglish
More by this Author
Black Bun is a traditional pastry often eaten at the end of the year at the Scottish Hogmanay. The accompanying recipes will bring a refreshing change of flavor to your new year.
Pickling Meat is a way of curing and preserving different types of meats and was developed before the days of refrigeration or easy access to ice to keep meats cold.
After writing resumes, cover letters, and job applications, candidates hope to interview well, impress the hiring officer, and secure the job. Here's what to avoid saying during the interview.