Make Gournet Flavored Popcorn
Quick and Easy Recipe
Need a quick and easy snack idea for a party? Try my easy gourmet flavored popcorn recipe. You make it with marshmallows and butter, just like you would rice crispy treats, but then you bake it in the oven so it gets crunchy, just like the kind you'd buy at a gourmet popcorn shop. Better yet, I've found you can make this recipe using all kinds of flavoring including:
- Jello Popcorn: You can make any fruit flavor popcorn by using jello flavors. You can use regular jello, or sugar-free for a healthier snack that is just 100 calories per cup.
- Flavor Creations Popcorn: Looking for more exotic flavors like chocolate mint, coffee, chocolate almond, peppermint, bubble gum, caramel or cotton candy? Try using the new Flavor Creations made by Duncan Hines to add to their canned frosting. These flavor and color packages are very strong and so you only need about 1/4 of a packet, which costs less than a quarter.
- Kool-Aid Popcorn: Using Kool-Aid or the generic Flavor-Aid gives you more choices like Watermelon, Tropical Punch, Lemonade, Root Beer, Mango, and Pineapple-Orange.
- Extract and Food Coloring: If those aren't enough flavors and colors, you can also use any sort of cooking extract and food coloring to make your custom popcorn, for example, maple, almond, or blue coconut! You can make the popcorn match your favorite team colors, holiday colors or the theme colors of your birthday party.
Step by Step Photo InstructionsClick thumbnail to view full-size
Colored popcorn makes a great party popcorn treat and is also fun for gifts. My kids love to cook up their own snack in their favorite flavors. Here are some other ideas:
- Match popcorn flavors to birthday colors.
- Make in team colors for a team snack, end of the year party or sport watching party.
- Make in school colors for a bake sale or school event.
- Color red and green for Christmas; red, white and pink for Valentines; red, white and blue for 4th of July; or Orange for Halloween.
- Make a gift bag for a favorite teacher, neighbor, or coach.
Great Popcorn Snack!
- 8-10 cups popcorn, popped (2 bags microwave popcorn)
- 1/4 cup margarine, (or butter)
- 4 cups mini-marshmallows
- 3 oz. package any flavor jello, (regular or sugar free)
- or 1/4 packet Frosting Creations or Kool-Aid, and 1/4 cup sugar or sugar substitute
- or 1 teaspoon any flavor extract, and 1/4 cup sugar or sugar substitute
- a few drops food coloring, optional
- Pop the popcorn (microwave or on the stove. You will need at least 8 cups, but you can probably coat up to 12 cups with one recipe of jello flavoring.
- Melt 1/4 cup margarine on the stove (or 30 seconds in the microwave).
- Add 4 cups of mini-marshmallows and jello to the pan. Stir on stove at low heat until marshmallows are melted. (Microwave: add marshmallows and heat 1 minute, stir and add jello. If marshmallows are not completely melted, microwave for 15 seconds at a time and then stir until they are).
- Add marshmallow jello mixture to popcorn and stir until coated.
- Popcorn Balls: To make popcorn balls, grease your hands with margarine and form mixture into 8-10 balls.
- Crunchy Popcorn: Spread out popcorn mixture on a baking sheet covered with foil or parchment paper. Bake in 250-degree oven for 15-20 minutes. Take out popcorn. Topping will harden as it cools. Break into pieces. Store in airtight container.
Made with Sugar Free Jello
|Serving size: 1 cup|
|Calories from Fat||27|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 3 g||5%|
|Saturated fat 1 g||5%|
|Unsaturated fat 2 g|
|Carbohydrates 10 g||3%|
|Sugar 6 g|
|Fiber 1 g||4%|
|Protein 1 g||2%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
Make Your Own Flavor
Here's one last idea. Host a "Make your own flavor" for your next party. Make a big batch of popcorn, then have each person put:
- 1 TB butter or margarine.
- 2 cups of marshmallows
In the microwave for 1 minute. Stir and then add 1/4 cup sugar or sugar substitute and flavorings. Mix with about 3-4 cups of popcorn. You can eat it or put it in the oven for 10 minutes to make it crunchy. Leftovers can be party favors. Easy and fun!
More by this Author
Quick and easy recipe for making homemade Truffles with 3 ingredients.
Quick and Easy Egg White Cookies made 3 ways with lots of variations. Gluten and Sugar free recipes included.
How to write better sentences? Easy tips to improve sentences just by changing the first word with a list of alternative first words included, plus ideas for faster and easier writing.