Make Your Own Moose Munch! Milk Chocolate Caramel Corn Recipe
Did you like this recipe?
This recipe takes a little time to throw together, but the results are worth it. Make sure you use fresh popped corn and Dark Karo Syrup for best results.
- 3 TBSP Vegetable Oil, I used LouAna
- 1/3 C Popping Corn Kernels, I used Jolly Time White Kernels
- 1/2 C Brown Sugar
- 1/4 C Dark Karo Corn Syrup
- 1/4 C Butter
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1/4 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla
- 1/2 lb Milk Chocolate
- 1/4 C Peanuts
- Chocolate Covered Pretzel Twists
- Add 3 TBSP of vegetable oil and the 1/3 cup of popping kernels to a deep pot with a lid. Cover and cook over medium heat until you hear the corn popping. Give the pot a good shake every 30 seconds while the popping continues to keep it from burning. Once the majority of the kernels are popped, remove the pan from heat. Pour the popcorn into a lightly greased 13 x 9 baking dish; be careful not to include the unpopped kernels. Place in the oven on 250 to keep warm while you make the candy coating.
- Return your empty pot to the same burner, and add the butter, brown sugar, and Karo syrup. Stir constantly over medium heat until the mixture begins to boil. Allow the mixture to continue to boil for 5 minutes WITHOUT STIRRING. It should resemble melted caramel--thick and sticky, bubbles and maybe even some foaming. Remove from heat and add in the salt, baking soda, and vanilla. Stir well.
- Remove popcorn from the oven and pour into the pot with the candy coating. Add peanuts. Stir the mixture together well and spoon back into the greased baking dish. Return the dish to the oven and bake for 30 minutes. Stir the mixture every 10 minutes.
- After baking, remove the dish from the oven and spread mixture out on waxed paper. Allow to cool completely then break into bite sized chunks. The popcorn should be crunchy, not sticky or mushy.
- Melt chocolate in a microwave safe bowl or in a double boiler. Carefully dip some of the popcorn bites in the chocolate and allow to cool on waxed paper. You can also dip the pretzels and extra peanuts too. Once cooled, combine the chocolate coated pieces and the candy coated pieces in an air tight canister. Enjoy!
© 2013 mlowell
More by this Author
Firearms can be a very dangerous tool in the hands of the wrong person. Every state has their own gun laws and regulations. For the state of Georgia, the laws are pretty straight forward and easy to abide by. Before you...
You may refer to a truss as the rafter, but it's basically the skeleton of the roof, carrying the weight of the frame and supporting the walls of the building. Trusses are very important to preventing the walls from...
Until this year, the only time that I've had mice or rats in the house were when my daughter had pet mice and rats, and one of those times we did have one loose in the house. (Science fair project got loose.) Anyway,...