How to Make 'Mandazi'
If you have been to East Africa, you have probably seen or had a taste of this delicious African snack. Mandazi some times known as brown puffs come in varying sizes and shapes depending on the maker’s preference. They are really easy to make and can provide a great source of energy for breakfast for people of all ages. They are best served cool with African tea. They can also be served as an evening snack. Try them out today for you and your family.
- Prep time: 25 min
- Cook time: 5 min
- Ready in: 30 min
- Yields: Serves about five people, 2 pieces per person
- 1 Cup All purpose flour
- 1/2 Cup Milk
- 1 Egg, loosely beaten
- 3 Table spoons Sugar
- 1 Tea spoon Ginger/cinnamon powder, level
- 1 Tea spoon Baking Flour/yeast
- Vegetable cooking oil, Enough for deep frying
- Add the dry ingredients (flour, sugar, baking powder and cinnamon) into a clean baking bowl all at the same time, and stir gently for about 2 minutes until all ingredients are evenly mixed.
- Add the egg and stir, then add milk, a little at a time as you knead it so as to form a soft but firm dough.Knead the dough for 15 to 20 minutes until it is not sticking to your fingers any more. When it is ready you may cover it and leave it to rise for about 30 minutes. You can however skip this and continue to the next step.
- Dived the dough into two, place one half onto a pastry board, and flatten it out with a rolling pin to about a centimeter thick.(sprinkle some flour on the board before placing the dough on it, to avoid the dough sticking on it. sprinkle some more flour on the dough as you roll it so that it does not stick on the rolling pin), then using a knife, cut into smaller pieces of shapes according to your preference.
- Place the frying pan half filled with vegetable cooking oil for deep frying on a medium heat and wait for the oil to heat up to the right temperature. You can test the oil with a small piece of dough. If it forms bubbles then it is ready. (too much heat will burn them)
- Place the mandazi into the oil, one piece at a time making sure not to burn your fingers. you can use a fish slice to help place the pieces into the pan. Keep turning them on either side to allow even cooking. Cook until they turn golden brown on both sides.(this should take about five minutes). Take them out of the oil onto a metallic sieve to drain any excess oil. Let them cool for about 30 minutes.
- Serve with a cup of African tea, or with a glass of juice, depending on your preferance
1. If you are diabetic this snack is not recommended, unless you make them using whole Grain wheat flour. You might also want to minimize the sugar quantity in order to keep it to optimum levels for your health.
2. The puffs are cooked by dip frying, so it is important to use cholesterol free vegetable cooking oil. Sunflower oil as well as olive oil are recommended choices.
3. Avoid having little children playing in the kitchen when using open pans of hot cooking oil to prevent injuries like burns.
4. Always remember to wash your hands and to use clean utensils during preparation and serving of food at all time to ensure healthy living.
More by this Author
Be careful what you post about yourself on line. Limit the amount of personal information because not everyone is a genuine friend. Identity thieves rely on this information to impersonate you
some will argue that it is all about sex, but sex means more than sex. its not a crime to add logic while trying to solve this dilemma and that is what we shall do
The possibility of being in love with more than one woman comes from the fact that no two people are identical.