Malaysian Chicken Chow Fun (Sar Ho Fun/Ho Fun) Recipe
Chicken chow fun or known as char ho fun/sar hor fun is Malaysian comfort food. It's a dish of ho fun (sar hor fun/hor fun) topped with starchy and gluey sauce and mixture of shrimp, chicken and colorful vegetables.
The sauce is made of chicken stock , oyster sauce and other Chinese seasoning, and thickened by cornstarch and or egg.
This noodle stir-fry is a "wet or moist" fried noodles. Unlike Cantonese style beef chow fun, Malaysian chicken chow fun is prepared by stir-frying broad rice noodle. Then the sauce and vegetable mixture are poured over the noodles.Chicken chow fun is best eaten hot.
Here is how to make Malaysian chicken chow fun at home. The ingredients are pretty simple and easy to find. The cooking process seem intimidating but it's not difficult at all.
Serves 2 - 4
8 oz boneless chicken breast, thinly slices
5 oz shrimp, peeled
8 oz choy sum, cut into 2-inch pieces
1 lbs fresh ho fun (broad rice noodles)
3 - 4 tbsp cooking oil
1 tbsp Chinese rice wine
1/8 tsp ground pepper
1 1/2 tsp minced garlic
1 tsp minced ginger
1 tsp Chinese rice wine
1/2 tsp light soy sauce
1/2 tsp oyster sauce
1 tsp cornstarch
1/4 tsp salt
1 tbsp oyster sauce
1 tbsp light soy sauce
1/2 cup chicken broth
1 tsp sesame oil
1 tsp cornstarch
How to Fix
- To make marinade sauce: combine marinade ingredients in a mixing bowl. Stir to combine. Add in the chicken pieces. Toss to combine. Set aside.
- To make sauce: in a small bowl combine oyster sauce, light soy sauce, chicken broth, sesame oil and cornstarch.
- Heat a wok over high heat. When hot, add 1 tbsp of cooking oil. Add the noodle in and cook undisturbed for 1 minute or until the noodles are little bit dry. Make sure you spread them evenly. Then stir-fry the noodles for 1 minute or they are little bit crusty. Transfer the noodles to a plate.
- Add 1 tbsp of oil into the wok, minced garlic, and also ginger. Stir-fry until they are fragrant. Then add chicken in. Cook for 1 minute. Pour in 1 tbsp rice wine. Continue to stir-fry for 1 minute or until light brown. Transfer chicken to a plate.
- Add 1 tbsp of oil into the wok. Add the shrimp in. Stir-fry until they are opaque. Transfer the shrimp to a plate. Set aside.
- Add 1 tbsp of oil into wok. Throw the choy sum in. Stir-fry 1 minute or until the choy sum is bright green. Return the chicken to the wok. Then add the broth mixture. Stir-fry 1 minute. Then add the shrimp. Continue to cook about 1 minute or until the shrimp and chicken are just cook through. The sauce should be not scant but little bit thick.
- Pour the chicken mixture over the noodles.
More Asian Recipes
- Vietnamese Mung Bean Sticky Rice (Xoi Vo) Recipe
How to make sticky rice for breakfast or snack.
- Easy Japanese Stuffed Mushroom (Shiitake Nikozume) Recipe
How to make Japanese stuffed mushroom. A really tasty finger food.
- Stir-Fried Cantonese Beef Chow Fun Recipe
Information about Chinese broad wide noodle (ho fun) and how to stir-fry it.
- Vietnamese Stuffed Tomatoes (Ca Chua Nhoi Thit) Recipe
How to make Vietnamese style baked stuffed tomatoes.
- Easy Chinese Stir-Fried Cabbage With Bacon
- Sichuan Dried Green Beans Recipe
Sar Hor Fun
More by this Author
Perkedel Kentang (Indonesian potato cakes/frikadellen) Perkedel kentang (frikadel) is Indonesian adaptation of frikadellen, Ducth meat patties. Unlike Dutch frikadellen, perkedel kentang is made of mashed potatoes...
How to make avocado juice or Indonesian style of Avocado smoothie, a healthy drink.
Craving for delicious fried chicken wings ?. Here is the most easy to fix Chinese style deep fried chicken wings. Every body will just love it and craving for more.
No comments yet.