Mashed Potatoes Pancakes
About This Recipe
Don't throw away those leftover mashed potatoes you have in the refrigerator. You can make another meal with them. Leftover mashed potato pancakes are a great, fast way to use up all of those leftovers. Although the following recipe is basic to making these pancakes, there are a wide range of variations you can use to spruce them up a bit.
BTW even more recipes for those leftovers can be found here:
- 2 cups mashed potatoes (approximately)
- 1 -2 eggs (depending on the amount of potatoes you have)
- 1/4 cup flour
- small amount of oil for frying
1. Mix the mashed potatoes, egg(s), flour, salt, pepper and garlic in a bowl
2. Preheat a small amount of oil (approximately 2 to 3 tablespoons) in a skillet
3, Once all ingredients have been mixed together, pour approximately 1/4 cup into skillet. Brown on both sides. You may find that the mix is a bit thick and you can use your hands to form them into a patty.
Mashed Potatoes Pancakes Variations
You will find that this basic recipe tastes delicious, but, you may want to add some additional ingredients to your mashed potatoe pancakes. Whatever you choose to add, mix all ingredients together at the same time.
1. Substitute bread crumbs for the flour (this will give your pancakes a whole different flavor)
2. You can add onions (fresh or powdered), chives and cheese
3. You can use up any leftover carrots (shred them first) or kernel corn and add them to the recipe also
4. Some people have added a can of tuna fish to the mix for a great lunch choice
When you serve your mashed potatoe pancakes, you can serve them with a number of different things also. Try putting some applesauce or sour cream on the side, or how about fresh fruit compote. Some people have served these with eggs and make it a great breakfast meal. There are a number of things you can serve them with and you will have fun trying them all. You can even try pancake syrup:)?
The most important thing to remember when you are making these mashed potatoe pancakes is that you are frying them in very little oil and it will become very hot quickly. Make sure you watch your pancakes as they cook so that they do not burn. Since you are using leftovers, they are already cooked and will not take long to complete.