Mexican Shepherd's Pie - A Pantry Dive Recipe
Dinner Dictated By The Pantry
It was one of those nights: I got home from work and was trying to figure out what to cook for dinner. We had not been to the store in quite some time, and although we had food in the house we didn't necessarily have food that meshed well together to make a meal. So we took out some of the food that we had that looked appetizing, a pound of ground beef and tried to make something for dinner. To our surprise, not only did it turn like we had planned it was delicious too! I might add that this is not a recipe that should ever be considered heathy by any means. However, it is a great comfort food that can be made from things that you already have in the pantry.
- 1 Package Flavored Instant Potatoes
- 1lb. Ground Beef
- 1 Package Taco Seasoning
- 4 ears Corn
- 2 Tablespoons Bacon Bits
- 1/4 Cup Shredded Sharp Cheddar Cheese
- 1 Box Jiffy Corn Bread Mix
- 1/4 Cup Sour Cream
- Preheat oven to 400
- Brown up the beef, drain and make the taco meat according to the package
- Add bacon bits and let cook with the meat until it begins to thicken, remove from heat
- Make the instant potatoes according to the package
- Make the Corn bread according to the package adding in ½ cup of the cooked corn and the sour cream
- In a 9x13 pan, spread the potatoes evenly on the bottom
- Follow up with the ground beef mixture
- Sprinkle the cheddar cheese over the meat, and then the rest of the corn over the cheese
- Finish with the cornbread mixture evenly over the top of the layered mixture
- Bake for 35 minutes or until golden brown on the top
- Let set for about 5 minutes and then enjoy!
Make It A Little Less Sinful
A few ways to make this a little healthier:
- Use fresh mashed potatoes on the bottom, or substitute for seasoned brown rice or Quinoa
- Use lean ground meat or substitute for seasoned Tofu. (If using tofu, omit the water when adding the taco seasoning.)
- Omit the bacon bits added to the meat
- Make your own taco seasoning to omit preservatives and other additives
Tell Me What You Think
Other Pantry Dishes
- Making a meal from your leftovers: A great recipe to use left over taco meat
- Quick and Easy easy Lemon & Herb Chicken Noodle Soup using rotisserie chicken
- Chicken and Cheese over Brown Rice - Quick, easy and cooks in under an hour
Want to try some healthier recipes?
- Spinach, Brown Rice and Ginger Warm Salad: Perfect for a rainy day
- Hearty and Healthy Vegetable Lentil Soup with Ginger: Healthy Comfort Food
- Delicious Egg-Free Quiche - Spinach and cashew pie
More by this Author
This quick and easy recipe just screams flavor. Using tofu as an alternative for eggs in this delightful "scramble" with broccoli, crispy kale and tomatoes is a great meal. Serve over brown rice pasta and you...
A quick way to make homemade spaghetti sauce in the crock pot in just 3-4 hours. No preservatives, just all natural ingredients. Also a great recipe for homemade Dijon Dill Vinaigrette dressing. The taste is out of this...
This hub is about graphic design including pre-press procedures, paper sizes, bleeds, margins and final trim sizes. There is important information about what your printer needs to be able to output the best quality...