Best Dessert Recipes How To Make Mini Tarts
Less Is More - Making Mini Tarts
In the arena of 100-calorie packaging, these little tarts fill the bill. Depending on what ingredients you use, you can keep these little tarts to 100 calories more or less per serving. They work great for parties and for small snacks when you just need something! The durability of the tart dough is unsurpassed thus far in my experience and all the tarts freeze up like a dream in freezer bags. They are ready within minutes after thawing. I try to always have a supply on hand "just in case", especially around the holidays.
Be creative with the dough as well! I have used the dough to experiment and have made mini pumpkin tarts, mini apple tarts and several quiche recipes. The important thing to remember with these little tart shells is that the ingredients themselves need to be chopped extremely fine so they will all fit inside the tart shells.
Another important point to make is to check periodically to make sure
they are not getting overly done if you experiment with other fillings.
There are hundreds of recipes on the Internet and in countless
cookbooks for tarts and/or mini-tarts and I have found the dough to be interchangeable for all recipes.
I also use it to make a large pecan tart for Thanksgiving and it performs beautifully. Same ingredients and same tart dough. You just have to watch the baking time as it is longer but you can tell as it begins to set up.
Only necessary equipment is a mini-muffin pan. A tart tool is a wonderful "luxury" but at only $3.95, it is well worth it and works both for large tarts and small tarts to press out the dough.
I always get rave reviews on these little tarts and they are very simple to make for the rewards of indulging in a few little bites of heaven!
This dough is wonderful because it holds together so well and can be kept for several days in the refrigerator wrapped in plastic wrap. Thaw out for an hour or so if you have refrigerated it and then proceed. If you are using same day, it needs to chill in the fridge for 1 hour. You can also use this dough for a 7-inch or 8-inch tart shell as well.
This recipe is extremely freezer friendly so I usually double the recipe and make up several kinds or lots of the pecan tarts and then freeze. They thaw out in minutes and hold their texture extremely well even with freezing.
INGREDIENTS (Makes 24)
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 3-ounce package cream cheese, softened (calories go down using fat-free)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- For tart shell dough, beat butter and cream cheese in small bowl until smooth. (I use my Kitchen Aid mixer or food processor to blend)
- Add flour and salt and mix until soft dough forms. (Again I do in the mixer or processor, then scoop out into ball)
- Place in plastic wrap, chill at least 1 hour or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Pinch off dough and shape into 1-inch balls.
- Place balls of dough into cups of ungreased mini-muffin pan.
- Dip tart tool in flour; press into dough evenly to form tart shell. (If you do not have a tart tool, you can simply use floured fingers to press each tart shell into shape in pan)
- Fill tart shells evenly with filling mixture - see recipes for fillings - make into mini-pecan tarts or do mini-quiches, mini-lemon tarts or use another filling.
- Bake 20-25 minutes or until light golden brown.
- Place muffin pan on cooling rack (loosen edges with a knife if needed).
- Cool completely; pop out of muffin pan.
- Freeze if desired in freezer bags.
NOTE: These thaw out from the frozen state in just a few minutes and are just small enough to pop in your mouth - bet you can't eat just one~!
Mini Pecan Tart Filling
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1 egg, beaten (or egg substitute 1/4 cup)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup pecans, chopped very fine
I have done this both ways, sprinkling the pecans in the formed tart shells or mixing the pecans with the other ingredients for the filling. I prefer mixing all the ingredients together as you get more a more consistent distribution of filling that way.
Either sprinkle pecans into individual tart cups or mix with all the above ingredients to prepare the filling part of the recipe. Mix all ingredients well. Then pour or spoon into the individual tart shells and bake as above 20-25 minutes. Cool and remove from pan as above.
Mini Quiche Lorraine Recipe
Prepare tart shells as above. Preheat oven to 375. Makes 24
- 1/4 pound bacon, fried, finely crumbled
- 1 cup Swiss cheese - finely grated
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup half and half (or substitute milk)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Dash cayenne
Fill mini-muffin shells with bacon equally. Top with grated cheese. Beat eggs, cream (or milk), salt and cayenne together lightly. Pour or spoon into shells. Note: You can also mix all ingredients and stir thoroughly to combine and fill the tart shells.
Bake 20 minutes at 375.
Buy Here On Amazon
More of My Cooking Links
- Christmas Candy Ideas - Broken Glass Candy
This is one of my favorite Christmas candy ideas for adding to gift baskets at the holidays. This recipe is a more difficult one because it involves temperature and cooking to the hard candy stage. A...
- Christmas Candy Ideas - Almond Bark Peppermint Candy
Christmas candy ideas could not be simpler than this SUPER easy-to-make yet delicious candy. It keeps very well in air-tight containers and makes a beautiful gift as part of a Christmas gift basket or in a...
- Christmas Candy Ideas - Amish Caramel Corn
Another of my super easy Christmas candy ideas that you can make ahead, store in airtight containers and then incorporate as part of a gift basket or a stand-alone gift in decorative tins or pretty bags! ...
- Christmas Cookies And Candies - Biscotti
Another addition to Christmas cookies and candy offerings that can be part of a gift basket, a stand-alone gift in a pretty gift bag or tin, or a yummy addition to any get-together. Biscotti is...
- The Best Light Recipe - Fluffy Buttermilk Biscuits
The Best Light Recipe cookbook from Cook's Illustrated has done it again! I have tried biscuit recipes from every source and this is by far my favorite. It is a bit unconventional but well worth the...
- Quick And Easy Cranberry and Sour Cream Oat Bars
Cranberries are becoming very popular for baking in place of raisins or other dried fruits. They are being used as a topping for salads and incorporated into many recipes as their health benefits become...
- Absolutely Foolproof Pie Crust Recipe
This recipe despite the use of lard (usually not anyone's favorite word) is absolutely foolproof and the never-fail pie crust recipe I've been using for years now. It was passed on to me by my Michigan...
- Tart Shells - 94161 - Recipezaar
Try Recipe Tart Shells - 94161 from Recipezaar.com. This recipe has a 0.00 star rating. Be the first to rate it
Link for Mini Quiches Lorraine
Oatmeal Pie - Tastes Like Pecan Pie
- Great Recipes for Thanksgiving and Christmas
It's that time of year when we're invited to Thanksgiving dinners, Christmas parties and holiday celebrations. Are you tired of taking the same old thing? Do you want something simple you can whip up in...
More by this Author
Caramel corn isn't that hard to make. In fact, it's very simple and oh so delicious. Try it and you'll be hooked and never buy store bought caramel corn again.
I recently found this recipe on fitnessandfreebies.com - it is called Low Calorie Grasshopper Ice Cream Pie. This is a favorite at our house because of its minty flavoring. I have made several ice cream pies over...
- EDITOR'S CHOICE17
EMDR therapy is proving very successful in dealing with many anxiety and panic disorders. Learn how you can self-administer EMDR therapy any time and any place.