Mini Chocolate Lava Cakes
An incredibly easy recipe from the Vegetarian Times:
The ultimate dessert for serious chocolate lovers, molten cakes are the rage at trend-setting restaurants. Freezing the batter before baking guarantees ooey-gooey success.
- 4 oz bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 4 oz unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 3 large eggs
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1.5 tbs all-purpose flour
- Coat 6 6-oz. ramekins with cooking spray, and dust with flour.
- Melt chocolate and butter in double boiler, stirring often. Since I don't have a double boiler, I mix together the chocolate and butter pieces in a microwave-safe bowl and heat for 2 minutes at 50% power.
- Beat eggs and sugar with electric mixer at high speed for 3 minutes, or until thick and pale yellow. Fold in chocolate mixture. Sprinkle in flour, and whisk to blend. Divide among prepared ramekins. Cover with plastic wrap, and freeze 6 hours, or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 400F. Place ramekins on baking sheet. Bake 15 minutes, or until puffed and set around edges, but still somewhat soft in center. Let stand 1 minute. Run sharp knife around edges, and invert onto dessert plates. Serve hot. I like to top the cakes with fresh berries-- delicious!
More by this Author
The Yakima River is a popular river to float in the summer in eastern Washington. This Hub gives useful information about the float like where to stay, where to put in, and how to float the river safely.