Mirza Ghasemi - Eggplant Spread
Rate this Recipe
Mirza Ghasemi (Mirzā-Ghāsemi) orginates from Northern Iran and is favored by Persians as a heavy appetizer. The name is basically said as it is spelled (Meer-zah GAH-semi). Appologies to my Persian friends if I still struggle with the accents.
The traditional Mirza Ghasemi involves either smoking, grilling or baking the eggplant until the skin is blistered before peeling it off. This recipe has been made much simpler as it involves opening a can or jar of pre-cooked eggplants.
- 1 can Sadaf fried eggplants, (or fried eggplant of your choosing)
- 2 garlic cloves chopped
- 2 eggs beaten
- 1 tomato chopped
- 2 tablespoons oil, (olive oil or grape seed oil)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Fry the chopped garlic in oil for about 3-5 minutes on medium-low heat then add in the eggplants and chopped tomato
- Add salt and pepper to taste and fry until excess water is gone. Remove from pan and set aside
- On low heat add the beaten eggs to the pan when the eggs are half cooked (still liquid) add back the eggplants cooked earlier and cook for about 5 minutes on medium heat
- Serve with Iranian style flat bread, walnuts, tarragon leaves, mint leaves, small chopped radishes and goat cheese
Mirza Ghasemi is served with flat bread which are cut or torn into 4in by 4in squares. You take a spoonful of the Mirza Ghasemi and spread it on the bread. Then add a few terragon leaves, mint leaves, goat cheese, a walnut or two, and a slice or two of radish and fold it over to make a little wrap. The sides are presented separately either on one plate or in separate plates.
Optional: do it yourself grilled eggplants
If you decide to cook the eggplants yourself, here's what you do.
Grill 4 large whole eggplants either on a grill, oven or stovetop until blackened. Then wrap them in paper towels and set aside until cooled. When eggplants are cooled peel the skins off. Next, finely chop the eggplants with a knife or with a blender.
More by this Author
Zumba dance workouts for fitness are fun and a great way to burn those calories. Young and Old are doing it, burning calories while having a great time! know what to expect in your first Zumba class!
No comments yet.