A Wonderful Thai Dessert "Mock Pomegranate Seeds in Coconut Ice Syrup" Recipe
Mock Pomegranate seeds in Coconut ice syrup or in Thai, Thap Thim Krawp.
It is a popular dish found on many restaurant menus. I fell in love with this dessert because of its color and the wonderful taste. I always wondered how I could make it when I was a kid, but as I grew up and life became more hectic I forgot this question. One day my teacher who was a good chef in Dusit Thani Hotel told me that he would teach me how to make this dessert. I was very excited that day. His recipe was a bit different from others because he wanted to show off the red color of this dessert that he believed it will suit well for dinner parties(see the first picture). Anyway, I will show you in two methods so you can pick the one you like and adapt to suit your tastes.
The “Mock pomegranate seeds” are water chestnut cubes covered with tapioca flour. The water chestnuts are soaked in water with some red food coloring to obtain the typical red color of the pomegranates. I used “Concentrated Artificial Sala Flavoured Syrup” to make red colour on water chestnuts because I could make a wonderful drink out of the left over syrup. Well, with these two options, choose the one that is the most convenient for you.
Another ingredient is coconut milk which a very important for most Thai desserts. So you should be careful to pick a good brand because some add more powder to the coconut milk (it will not smell good). I used “Scented Candle Coconut milk” because it made my dessert smell lovely. Well if you cannot find this one, regular coconut milk is perfect.
I hope you enjoy with this dish and it can help you to have an elegant finish for a dinner party. You can also try other colors to suit your mood or even to match with your dining room.
Some sample of the ingredients
75 grams canned water chestnut, cut into small cubes
50 grams tapioca flour
80 grams sugar
100 grams coconut milk
125 grams water
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp red food coloring or 75 ml. concentrated artificial sala flavoured syrup
Toss the water chestnuts well with red liquid
Toss the red water chestnuts with tapioca flour until well-coated
Shake off any excess flour
Boil the floured water chestnut
Transfer to soak in cold water
- Mix the food coloring with some water (if you use concentrated artificial Sala flavoured syrup, you don't have to mix with some water), soak the water chestnut for 10 minutes, drain and coat with topioca flour. Shake off any excess flour.
- Bring water to the boil, put in the floured water chestnut. Boil until they float to the surface, remove with a slotted spoon and drop in cold water and drain.
- Combine the salt and coconut milk in a pot, boil over mediun heat and set aside.
- Combine the sugar and water in a pot, boil over medium heat until it becomes syrupy.
- Mix 3 tablespoons of the boiled water chestnut or the mock pomegranate seeds with sufficient amount of syrup and topping with ready boil coconut milk (see the first picture). You can add some crushed ice before serving.
- For another method Change no.3 - no.5 to this way. Combine the sugar and water in a pot, boil over medium heat until it becomes syrupy. Add the coconut milk and salt and stir to combine. Remove from the heat. Mix 3 tablespoons of the boiled water chestnut or the mock pomegranate seeds with sufficient amount of coconut syrup and some crushed ice (see the second and the last picture).
Tip : Tapioca flour can be substituted by corn flour.
Ready for saving
More by this Author
Thai flower dumpling is a challenging Thai cuisine recipe as it needs a little bit of artistic ability and perseverance. I think you can tell by the way why I am telling you this and as you see the above picture. Many...
Thai food is well known around the world because of its taste,nutrition and containing small amount of fat. Many researchers found that Thai food provides high nutrition with health benefits. In the past, before the...
IELTS speaking test is the most difficult part for some people. In my opinion, speaking English on a regular basis each day is not difficult. We can talk all day and we have a lot of topics to talk about. People...
No comments yet.