Mongolian Cuisine : Foods in Mongolia
Mongolian Cuisine : Foods in Mongolia
Now we go to Mongolian cuisine, of course Mongolian barbecue is not a food that originated in Mongolia, that is a misconception. All I can think about Mongolia prior to attending a seminar about East Asia when I was still working as a university researcher is that the Mongolian barbecue and Mongolian beef originated there, well I was wrong. That gave me the idea to further do a research about what they eat. So c'mon join me in discovering the foods that the Mongols eat but first it will be fun to learn some facts facts about Mongolia.
Where is Mongolia located?
Mongolia is a landlocked region in the East Asia bordered by Russia and China in the southern eastern and western. It is very near to Russia and Central Asia that gives us an idea of what nearby country influenced their food culture.
Mongolian stew out of broth of meat and ingredients plus soup
Some facts about Mingolia
As a nation, Mongolia has a long history of struggle with independence being under the rule of nomadic dynasties and under China's rule until 1921.
At the moment, it is opening its market to the world and establishing its place in the world market. It is a large country and population density is high meaning there are few people per square kms. The type of government is parliamentary.
Landscape in Mongolia -- a typical one -- suitable for raising animals which serve as food to Mongolians
Map of Mongolia
Mongolian choice of food influences
Understanding Mongolias topography is important to know their
Topography : Mongolia is a high
place with desert and high mountain areas that is why it is cold there
and can get up to -40C during winter. It is part of the nomadic region
and the culture of herding is popular. They thrive on the climate
of desert and mountainous region and resources is nil, in terms of
agricultural produce. Vegetables and spices are rare, that is why they
don't use as much spices and ingredients nor vegetables in their food.
food is not diverse in fact it just use meat and dairy products
to some extent.Due to its limited arable land, Mongolia's cuisine is
simple, it relies mainly in meat, products from milk of animals. Horse
meat is eaten in Mongolia. They rely heavily on milk, that is why they
eat cheese as well and the famous wine is milk fermented
Influences : Chinese and Russian influences in food, although I must say that they are more influenced by their Central Asians counterpart (which were part of Russia before they crumble). I would like to also insert some information here about the Silk Route trade which was a trade route in the Central part of Asia wherein there is exchange of goods and barter trade in Asia down to Africa and some part of Europe. Their culture is influenced by the culture of nomads.
sheeps -- in Mongolian steepe
Foods in Mongolia
Mongolian cusine is based on meat, dairies, rice or wheat
- The yurt (image above) uses cast iron grill and the dung of animals to cook food
- Mongolians relies heavily on meat products of different animals like yaks, goat, sheep, plus camels
- They also prefer meat of lamb
- Cream and milk are the basic ingredients in their drinks -- alcoholic and non alcoholic
- They eat mutton which is the meat of the older lamb
- They also eat dumplings - ingredients are meat
- Boiled meat without ingredients is cooked often
- They rely on fats of animals
- They also eat rice and barley -- the wheat and the flour is made into porridge
- They combine rice with meat boiled and stewed
Yurt is a dwelling type eating place where you can eat along side the roads
Facts About Mongolian Cuisine
The weather in itself affects their food choices, it is severely cold during winter that is why they peruse soup from animal broth and milk as ingredients.
They also usually cooked stew and boil meat in itself because they don't have much ingredients. They also air dried their meat.
Like any other place in Asia, rice is mixed with the main dish
They also use the fats from animals and make cheese out of animals milk
Kumis is a fermented milk from a mare
- Kumis is popular drink -- this is a fermented drink form mares milk and is also pupular in other countries -- the Central Asian countries like Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan and the Tajiks.
- Tea one kind is milk tea which is salted and added to rice
- Milk of animal products
- Millet is a drink from grains
- Mongolians like sour milk more than the fresh milk
- Tsagaan ideed is a drink and is a combination of milk, cream, butter and yogurt
fried dough -- a dessert famous among Mongolians
Other Mongolain cuisine
Boortsog is a famous dessert from the dough of barley. It is fried and looks like doughnut
- Buuz is a type of dumplings same as the dumplings in Taiwanese food wherein the ingredients are meat of beef or sheep, and mixed withe ingredients like garlic and with salt. They are usually steamed.
- Khuushuur -- a kind of dumpling combination of ingredients like onion, ground meat and is salted
Tsuivan is a kind of stew made out of noodles with main ingredients as rice grain or noodlles
Other Hubs About World Cuisine
More by this Author
Yes, even if you are single and living alone, you still need cooking appliances and cooking utensils, because you still eat (that's a given) and at times you can't go out because of the weather and you need to cook. The...
South America comprises the following countries : Brazil, Chile, Argentina, Bolivia, Colombia, Ecuador, Guyana, Paraguay. Peru, Suriname, Uruguay and Venezuela. The two added territories are Falkland Island (UK) and...
Different Kinds of Leavening Agents. What are leavening agents or leaveners? Leavening agents are substances that are used in batters as well as doughs which are used to soften the dough and it is also used for...