Movie Master's Delicious Bread & Butter Pudding Recipe
Bread & Butter Pudding
An Easy and Quick Recipe To Use Up Stale Bread
Both my Mother and Nan were great cooks and they both made the most delicious, hearty and warming puddings!
My Nan always use to say, 'keep the basic's in your pantry and if you have got eggs in the house - you can always cook something'
Nan never use to waste anything - this is a great recipe to use up bread.
Preparation time - 15 minutes
Cooking time - 50 minutes
Serves - 6 people
- 6 slices white or brown bread
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 pint milk
- 4 - 5 tablespoons dried fruit mixture
- Sprinkle nutmeg (optional)
- 2 - 3 tablespoons sugar
- Oven temperature 350 F or 180 C
- Wash the mixed dried fruit and dry. If you prefer, you can just use sultanas or currants.
- Cut off the crusts. Butter the slices of bread and cut into four.
- Loosely arrange the pieces of bread in an ovenproof dish. Sprinkle with sugar Scatter a spoonful of dried fruit on top Repeat the layers to fill the dish
- Lightly beat the eggs in a bowl
- Heat the milk in a saucepan and remove from heat just before boiling.
- Pour the milk into the bowl of beaten eggs and mix lightly
- Pour the milk mixture over the bread.
- Sprinkle the top of the mixture with nutmeg (optional)
- Bake in the oven for 50 minutes until risen and golden.
Step by step photos for preparing your bread & butter puddingClick thumbnail to view full-size
A Warming Pudding on a Cold Day Straight from the oven!
I remember as a child salivating, as the kitchen was filled with the aroma of pudding baking.....
Dinner would be eaten in double quick time and as my patience faded, I would beg my mother to take the pudding out of the oven! she would always say, 'it's hardly cooked' but it always was!
She'd dish the pudding up, steaming in the bowls - far too hot to get anywhere near, so we would walk up and down the garden path a few times with our bowls in our hands waiting for it to cool down!
Bread and butter pudding tastes pretty good cold too.
Do you think you would like this recipe? Please rate.
More by this Author
A description of a Weeping Willow tree in the form of a haiku poem.
An easy to follow step by step guide and instructions on how to successfully scan and restore your photos.
The Lupin is a tall herbaceous perennial plant, each flower is a beautiful peaflower shape and comes in a variety of colours.