Mughlai Chicken Biryani
This is a very famous Indian dish, available in most Restuarants. We prepare at home with our own little twist ...
1. 1 full chicken cut in medium size pieces
2. 3 spoons Biryani masala, I use Shan brand Malay biryani
3. 2 onions
4. 6 chillies (small) cut in lengthwise
5. Ginger, Garlic paste 1 tbsp each
6. 2 tbsp salt
7. 3 tbsp yogurt (curds)
8. 1/4 tbsp garam masala
9. 1 tomato
10. 2 tbsp coriander powder
11. Coriander leaves (Cilantro)
12. 3.5 cups white Basmati rice
13. Optional - few bay leaf, couple of Cinnamin sticks
14. 4 tbsp oil
• First marinate Chicken pieces with Yogurt, garam masala, salt, Biryani masala, ginger & garlic paste for few hours. This gives Chicken very good taste.
• Soak rice in water for about 1/2 to 1 hour
• Now heat oil in a vessel in which you will be cooking biryani
• add chillies and fry for 1-2 minutes
• add onions and fry untill they are brown
• add tomato fry for couple of minutes
• now add marinated Chicken with other ingrediants, coriander powder and mix everything together and fry for 15 minutes turning once every few minutes
• now add bay leaf, cinnamin sticks, coriander leaves and fry for 2 minutes
• now add 5 cups of water and soaked rice
• cook until rice is done mixing the contents occasionally
This is a classic chicken recipe and should serve for 4-6 people.
More by this Author
Ginger is a modified root tuber widely used as a flavoring in preparing various food recipes and is also widely used as a medication.
Paya dish is a very delicious recipe made from goat or lamb legs and relished at homes as well as in restaurants. Here I have given the recipe of Paya dish as it is prepared in Bohra kitchens in India.
Gakhar is a Mughlai Bread made of wheat flour and consumed with vegetarian or non-vegetarian curried dishes.