Mushroom Side Dish with a Twist
Mushroom Green Chile
Mushrooms are so meaty and deliciously filling. They have virtually no calories too! This recipe adds another layer of luscious flavor. Here is a novel way to serve mushrooms that is very tasty.
The mushrooms used here are the basic little white basic button mushrooms from the grocery. Those are the small crimini mushrooms. Crimini when they grow large become Portobello mushrooms. I love the taste and the texture and the fact that while being low calorie they are very filling.
Many doctors recommend mushrooms because they are healthful. Many mushroom varieties are excellent anti-oxidants, anti-inflammatory and protect against cancers. Here is an excellent information source on the white button crimini mushrooms used in this recipe. http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=97
This mushroom recipe twist has to do with having a plethora of green chiles in the house, and green chile gravy. Here is how to make the green chile sauce: http://nmlady.hubpages.com/hub/Green-Chile-Gravy-OR-Sauce
The mushrooms were sauteed to a nice brown with the help of the Worcestershire® Sauce. The mushrooms were then layered with the warm green chile sauce, sprinkled with some Colby cheese shreds and then micro-waved until the cheese melted. The mushrooms and the green chile sauce were both hot. Also, I only put the sauce on one-half of the mushrooms as both the flavors could then compliment and not over-whelm each other.
I would see no reason that you could not turn this into a casserole. I would only have one layer mushrooms and one layer green chile sauce with the cheese sprinkled on top. I would not do multiple layers, though.
This got raves! Plus they are mouthwatering attractive to serve!
- 8 ounces crimini button mushrooms, sliced
- 1-2 T. olive oil
- 2 dashes or more Worcestershire Sauce
- 1- 2 pinches kosher salt
- 1 -2 dashes black pepper
- Gently wash the mushrooms to clean off any dirt residue Slice the mushrooms and gently blot dry them in a dish towel
- Pre-heat the pan to HOT with the olive oil in the pan Add the mushrooms and cook both sides until nice and brown (about 4 minutes or more per side)
- Shake in the Worcestershire Sauce to add color and flavor Sauté until pan is dry.
- Warm the chile sauce in the micro wave Place the chile sauce on the mushrooms. I only covered part of the dish so all the flavors shined. Sprinkle some cheese on top and melt in microwave.
Here are some other wonderful recipes that celebrate the wonderful umami flavor of New Mexico!
How to make the Sauce
- Green Chile Gravy OR Sauce
Easy way to make delicious New Mexico Hatch Green Chile Sauce (gravy.) Yummy!
Explore cooking mushrooms.
More by this Author
Pasta Noodles the New Mexico way. A yummy easy pasta for kids and adults! Easy to make and VERY easy to enjoy! Less than a dollar to make~!
Chili Soup Recipe. A hearty family pleasing meal. Midwestern USA in origin.
Pork Roast Clay Pot cooking recipe. Excellent Holiday entertaining meal.