Grilled Cheese Sandwich Recipes
The Grilled Cheese Sandwich - A Family Favorite
It's fun and extremely rewarding to take an old family stand-by, a quick and easy favorite and add a pinch of this or a tablespoon of that to make an old standard into something just a little bit different. Something to tickle the old taste-buds.
Some of these creations have quickly become new family favorites and none of them take over 30 minutes from start to finish. These new twists on an old favorite are just simply delicious, with the emphasis on both simple and delicious. I'm not sure how I could have made grilled cheese sandwiches for so many years without considering changing it up a little by adding a new ingredient or two. Well, I feel like I have arrived at a new plateau of creative cooking now and "wow" What a difference it has made.
I hope you will enjoy these as much as we have.
Grilled Cheese with tomato and basil
This is my personal favorite and they are so quick and easy to prepare. I use a skillet when I make only one or two, but for the family or when making a bunch for a crowd, I pull out the countertop electric grill, which makes fast work out of it.
1. Lay out 8 slices of bread on countertop, plate or cutting board. (you may use regular, wheat or your whatever your choice of sliced sandwich bread )
2. Take a nice large tomato and cut in half, then cut each half of tomato into 1/2" slices. Dab with paper towel and lay clean paper towel on top of sliced tomatoes. Let stand.
3. Place one slice of American cheese on top of each of the four slices of bread you laid out.
4. Next, dab the sliced tomatoes with the paper towel again, then place 3-4 slices of tomato on top of each piece of cheese.
5. Add a little salt and pepper to taste.
6. Next, add 2-3 leaves of fresh sweet basil or ( you can use dried basil if desired, just sprinkle lightly over the tomatoes) I have made it both ways and they are both delicious.
7. Place a slice of bread on top of each.
8. Lightly press with hand or spatula;
9. Spread a little softened butter on top of sandwich.
10. Using a spatula, In a hot buttered skillet, place two sandwiches side by side with buttered side facing up. Cook as usual by lightly browning on each side.
Promptly remove from skillet and place on serving platter or plate. Then move on to the next two, using the same process. If your skillet begins to smoke a little, just remove it from the heat and wait a minute for it to cool down a little, the add a little more butter and continue.
Note: if cooking sandwiches for a crowd; pull out the electric griddle, lay out the desired amount of bread and other ingredients and prepare as stated above. The electric griddle should allow you to cook six to eight sandwiches at a time, which is a great time-saver.
These are also very pretty and appetizing when cut in triangles and placed on a lettuce leaf bed with 1/2 of the sandwich laying and the other half upright showing the ingredients. Then use a slice of tomato and a little basil as a garnish.
Pimento Grilled Cheese Sandwich
This is another one of my favorite ways to put a new twist on an old standard lunch idea. In fact this is my second favorite way to enjoy this wonderful comfort food. It's so simple, yet amazing how a small addition of pimentos can make such a huge change in the flavor.
For this recipe you can use sliced American cheese or your favorite cheddar cheese. I often use pre-shredded sharp cheddar cheese. It's my personal favorite when making pimento grilled cheese sandwiches.
1. Simply prepare your skillet or grill as stated above.
2. Lay your bread out on counter and prepare as in recipe one.
3. You will need one jar of pimentos per 4-6 sandwiches, depending on your personal taste preference. I prefer 1 jar per 4 sandwiches..
4. Drain the liquid off the pimentos.
5. After you have place your cheese on the bread, sprinkle 1 tablespoon of drained pimentos over cheese and spread as evenly as possible.
6. Cook as usual by browning lightly on both sides.
7. Remove promptly and serve warm.
JUST A NOTE: These are great if you want to make ahead of time. Just wrap individual sandwiches in plastic wrap and store in fridge for up to 48 hours. Heat in microwave for 35-45 seconds. Serve warm.
Can be kept frozen for future use for up to 3 months.
Saut'eed Onions and Bell Pepper Grilled Cheese
Another mouth watering favorite is grilled cheese filled with sautéed onions and bell peppers. It takes just a few extra minutes to saut'e the onions and bell peppers but is so well worth the extra effort. This is another variation that is simply just delicious.
To make 4 Sandwiches
1. Peel and chop 1 small onion.
2. Cut 1 large bell pepper in half and remove seeds and white membrane. Then cut the halves in half so that you have (4) pieces.
3. In large skillet, over medium heat, add 3 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil and 1 tablespoon of butter or margarine.
4. When butter or margarine has melted into the olive oil; add the onions and let them begin to cook.
5. Prepare bread and cheese as in recipe 1.
6. Reduce the heat to low and let the onions sautee for about 7-8 minutes.
7. Add the bell pepper pieces and let sautee in with the onions for an additional 2 minutes.
8. Drain of any excess liquid.
9. Using slotted spoon; spread cooked onions over the top of cheese slices and place I piece of sautéed bell pepper on each.
10. Cook accordingly as in recipe 1.
11. Serve warm.
Parmesan Grilled Cheese
In a dish combine 1/2 stick of softened butter or margarine and 1/2 teaspoon of garlic powder.
Using a fork, mash the garlic powder into the butter.
You will need; garlic powder, butter or margarine, mozzarella cheese, parmesan cheese, sliced tomato, sliced black olives ( liquid drained off ) and fresh basil leaves (optional)
spread garlic butter on bread slices
place mozzarella cheese on bread
sprinkle grated parmesan cheese on cheese
add 2-3 fresh basil leaves (optional)
add 1slice of tomato
spread 2 teaspoons of sliced black olives
Cook as in recipe 1
Be creative and don't be afraid to try something new. Experiment with different cheeses and also different types of bread. Below are a few more ideas. I call these quickies.
In all prepare the bread as usual then try the combinations below;
1. Spread Picante sauce on top of the cheese before browning.
2. thin slices of apples on cheese before browning.
3. baby spinach leaves and boiled egg that has been sliced thin laid across the cheese before browning.
4. cooked bacon and a slice of tomato over the cheese before browning.
5. steamed broccoli and onion over the cheese before browning.
6. potato chips over the cheese before browning.
7. thin slices of zucchini squash and sautéed onions
There are so many options for creating new and different tasting versions of the grilled cheese sandwich; these are just a few ideas for you to try. I hope there are one or two ideas here that you and your family will enjoy.
© 2014 Becky
More by this Author
Growing flowers and other plants in containers is not only fun but can be beautiful. California poppies are a wildflower and are a beautiful addition to your container garden.
To me there is only one thing better than working on new craft projects and that is to get the patterns. plans and instructions for free. Below you will find many patterns for a variety of projects.
At our house, the festivities wouldn't be complete without our traditional glazed ham with pineapple and cherry garnish as the centerpiece on the holiday table. Recipe and instructions are below.