Recipe: Spaghetti Pie With Ground Turkey.
Cooking with ground turkey
Ground turkey is the perfect alternative to ground beef. It is more nutritious, less fattening, and healthier than beef (if one really feels the need to eat meat in the first place). This recipe is excellent for family outings, holidays, or any other day of the year.
It is sure to be a family favorite
- 8 ounces of spaghetti (No need to break the spaghetti before cooking, if you decide to break it, i would not recommend more than breaking the uncooked spaghetti in 1/2. It is easier to form into a crust with the larger pieces.)
- 2 or 3 tablespoons of butter (never use margarine)
- 1/3 to 1/2 cup of grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 well beaten eggs
- 8 ounces of cottage cheese, or ricotta cheese, (or 4 oz of both)
- 1 pound of ground turkey (or chicken, or lean beef if you prefer).
- 1/2 cup chopped mushrooms (optional)
- 1/2 cup of chopped onions
- 1/4 cup of chopped green pepper
- 1 15-16oz can of stewed diced tomatoes
- 1 6 ounce can of tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon of sugar
- 1 teaspoon of dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon of dried Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon of garlic salt (or garlic powder and salt to taste).
- 1/2 cup of shredded mozzarella cheese
- Cook the spaghetti according to package directions: drain and return to cooking pan
- Stir butter, Parmesan cheese and eggs into the hot spaghetti.
- Lightly butter a 9 inch x 13 inch lasagna pan, or a 10 inch deep dish pie plate.
- Form the spaghetti mixture into a crust in the lightly buttered baking dish evenly across the bottom and up the sides.
- Spread the cottage/ricotta cheese over the bottom (upper side) of the spaghetti crust.
- In a skillet, cook the ground meat, mushrooms, green pepper, onion, until the meat is browned and the vegetables are tender. (If using beef drain off the excess fat)
- Stir in the other ingredients (except the mozzarella cheese) and heat through. (Simmer but do not boil the mixture, you don't want to burn the bottom)
- Turn the cooked meat mixture into the spaghetti crust.
- Bake uncovered at 350 degrees for 20-30 minutes.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle the Mozzarella cheese on the top.
- Return to oven and bake another 5-10 minutes or until the cheese is melted.
(You can use your own favorite spaghetti sauce recipe if you have one that you prefer - just don't make it too watery so it will set properly)
Remove from oven and let it sit for about 5 minutes to set and cool.
Cut and serve with a salad.
by: d.william 10/13/10
Rate the recipe
- From My Favorite Recipes: TURKEY ZUCCHINI MEATLOAF.
Recipes for the Manly Chef Another of my quick and easy recipes designed for the
- Burgundy Meat (Turkey)Balls - Recipe
Another manly recipe Another manly recipe - quick and easy. Burgundy Meat Balls 1 pound of ground turkey (or lean beef) salt and pepper to taste dash of allspice Dash...
- MY MOTHER'S MEATBALLS - (with sweet & sour sauce) recipe
Recipes from my manly collection Meatballs in a sweet and sour sauce. Another manly recipe - always quick, easy and mostly all natural. SAUCE; 2 bottles of chili ketchup (chili...
Turkey italion meatloaf
Cooking Made Simple??
More by this Author
Easy recipes for the cooking impaired. Using your rice cooker for more than steamed rice. Variety is only limited to your own imagination.
Using ground turkey as an alternative to beef. It is healthier, cheaper, and just as delicious.
God Creates. Man Destroys. Greed will be our complete undoing. Is there any hope for humanity? Sadly - NOT.