Low Fat Carrot Cake Recipe - The Best I have Tasted - Using Grape Seed Oil Instead of Butter or Margarine
The best compliment I received from making this carrot cake is from a boy who frequently visits hotel restaurants. He warmed my heart by saying that it tasted better than the carrot cake from Hilton Hotel. My husband, who is often careful with his diet, couldn’t help himself with a second serving.
It is incredibly delicious. The cake is rich with flavour and moist. Simply scrumptious!
It is healthier than other cake since I use better oil, grape seed oil. Its benefits are mentioned below, after the recipe. Instead of using white sugar, I use brown sugar instead. The health benefits of carrot are well-known, so I will not mention it here.
1 1/4 cups grape seed oil (or vegetable oil)
2 cups brown sugar (reduce the portion for less sweetness)
(if you use white sugar, 1 to 1.5 cup of sugar is sweet enough)
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
3 cups grated carrots
Optional : 1 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
Lemon or Lime Frosting
1/2 cup low fat, salt-reduced margarine , softened
2 lemon or 6 limes
3 cups confectioners' sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Optional : 1/2 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour a 9x13 inch pan.
2) In a large mixing bowl, use the cake mixer to beat the eggs. Add in brown sugar and 2 teaspoons vanilla.
3) Shift in flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and cinnamon. Add in grape seed oil. Stir gently and slowly till well mixed, using circular motion in clock-wise direction.
4) Stir in carrots. Fold in pecans (optional).
5) Pour into prepared pan.
6) Bake in the preheated oven for 40 to 50 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
7) Let cool in pan for 10 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack and cool completely.
1) To make frosting, in a medium mixing bowl, combine margarine, confectioners' sugar and 1 teaspoon vanilla. Add lemon or lime juice 1 tablespoon at a time to avoid getting watery frosting.
2) Using mixer, beat at high speed and continue adding the lemon and lime juice until the mixture is smooth and creamy. Taste some to ensure quality.
3) Add more confectioners' sugar or juice if necessary. If lemon flavour is quite strong, add water if more liquid is needed.
4) Stir in chopped pecans. This makes about 2 cups (450ml) of frosting.
5) Frost the cooled cake.
You can keep the cake in the refrigerator if you like nice cold cake.
Additional baking tips :
1) When grating the carrots, use the large grater (use for cheese) to get good size of grated carrot.
2) To prevent cake from sinking in the center :
· Avoid overbeating which will introduce more air into the cake
· Avoid under baking. Check the temperature to ensure that it is not too low and check the time to ensure sufficient baking time
· Avoid using baking pan that is too small or too large
· Ensure the oven is preheated for at least 30 minutes
· Ensure your oven is heating properly. Use an over thermometer to check the temperature
· Avoid opening the over door unless you really necessary, to ensure consistent heating temperature throughout the baking time
Happy Baking !
Health Benefits of Using Grape Seed Oil
Numerous studies have suggested that Grape Seed Oil and its Extract constitute anti-inflammatory, anti-oxidant, anti-histamine, anti-aging, anti-allergic, antimicrobial, and adaptogenic activity. Hence, it is highly beneficial in the treatment of a number of health problems that include: arthritis, edema, dermatitis, acne, wrinkles, dry and itchy skin, age spots, sun burns, chapped lips, wounds, bruising, stretch marks, varicose veins, hemorrhoids, chronic venous insufficiency, premature aging, premenstrual syndrome (PMS), weight loss, stress, dandruff, hair loss, warts, cardiovascular diseases especially atherosclerosis, hypertension, high cholesterol levels, diabetes, visual impairment, cataract, and muscular degeneration.
Studies also suggest that its free radical scavenging activity may strengthen the immune system and reduce the risk of developing cancer.
© 2011 Ingenira
More by this Author
Widely known as an excellent source of antioxidants, green tea slows down aging and aids in preventing heart disease, strokes and cancers. Instead of drinking green tea, you can consume green tea in the form of cakes,...
This sugar-free healthy cake makes you feel fuller longer and prevents overeating, and it is gluten-free !I like to make this cake for parties and gatherings, and friends often asked me for the recipe.
Life is about constant change, but one thing will never change, which is : You mean everything to me and I will love you till the end of life.