My New Love Affair with Ginger Beer
A couple weeks ago my sister introduced me to ginger beer. After a weekend of mixing it with whiskey and drinking it straight out of the bottle, I am completely hooked! This beverage was first brewed in England almost 300 years ago. Ginger beer can be an actual alcoholic drink or just tasty soft drink. It tastes like ginger ale with heavy extra dose of ginger.
How It's Made
Ginger beer is made when ginger, water, and ginger beer plant (a type of fungal-bacteria symbiote) are left to ferment. Other types of cultures can be used. The brewing process generates carbon dioxide, just like brewing beer.
Other flavorings like lemon or lime are added to to the ginger beer. Sometimes hot spices like cayenne are also added
How to Drink It
I could drink ginger beer straight as a soft drink all day long. However there are also several different ways to mix it.
- A Furlong Too Late~ ginger, white rum
- Bacardi Dragon Berry Spice Lime~ Bacardi Dragon Berry Rum, ginger beer, lime
- Beer Cup~ gin, ginger beer, lager, lemon juice, soda water
- Black and Tan- ginger beer, ginger ale
- Bob's Moscow Mule~ ginger beer, vodka
- Dark and Stormy~ ginger beer, Gosling's Black Seal Rum
- Frazzle Berry~ ginger beer, lime juice, raspberry vodka
- Milano Mule~ Domaine de Canton Ginger Liqueur, Galliano, ginger beer, vodka
- Red Hot Chili Pepper~ ginger beer, Tobasco sauce, Tequila Gold
There are a lot of different kinds of ginger beer of the market. I am new to the world of ginger beer, but I already have an absolute favorite. After first experiencing Maine Root out of town with my sister, I was dismayed when I returned home and could not immediately find it. I tried two other brands, and they did not even come close. Maine Root is Fair Trade Certified Organic. It's made with organic cane root so no worries about processed white sugar. I've found it at Whole Foods and World Market.
Health Benefits of Ginger
Not only is this a tasty beverage, the ginger that makes it so wonderful has health benefits!
- A safe way to relieve nausea and vomiting during pregnancy
- Relief for motion sickness
- Immune booster
More by this Author
Wind Cave is a great trail right outside of Logan, UT. This short, steep, scenic trail leads to a beautiful triple arch cave.
Humans have developed several short and long term adaptations to cold stress. The adaptations allows humans to survive areas with extremely cold temperatures.
Pine River Trail to Emerald Lake and Moon Lake in the Weminuche Wilderness is beautiful. It winds through forest, meadows, and fields of wildflowers.