Nanas Easy Cherry Trifle
This is an easy dessert and would make a nice addition to the Christmas dinner table. Add a little sparkle to the top with silver candy sprinkles for an extra festive look. Although this can be made completely from scratch, this recipe makes it doable for the busy family. I use sugar-free pudding for a less sweet flavor not necessarily for a healthier dessert. Substitute your favorite pie filling for the cherry if you would like. I'm fond of cherries, so I use them in many desserts.
The cook time listed above is excessive only because it takes into account baking the cake. If you choose to purchase a prepared Angel Food cake from the bakery, obviously, your cook time is cut to only prep time. This will make it an easy dessert that children will enjoy putting together. The 'yield' is subjective, in that, it is a suggestion and depends on who is doing the dipping.
- 2 cups Milk, (whole milk for pudding)
- 1 box Sugar-Free Instant Vanilla Pudding, (3.4 oz)
- 1 large container Whipped Topping Mix, (Cool Whip)
- ¼ teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1 teaspoon Almond Extract
- 1 Angel Food Cake, From bakery section of grocery store OR any White Cake Mix - Bake ahead following directions on box
- 1 small jar Maraschino Cherries
- 1 can Cherry Pie Filling
- If using a boxed cake mix, prepare it ahead of time and let cool. Once cooled, tear cooled cake into 2 - 3 inch pieces. These do not have to be perfectly sized, or shaped. Set aside.
- Prepare pudding mix according to box directions. After the powder and milk are mixed, add the Vanilla and Almond Extract to pudding and blend. Set pudding aside. It will be soft-set in 4 - 5 minutes. (You may wish to use ¼ cup less milk for a thicker pudding)
- Layer the cake pieces with white of cake showing to the outside edge in the bottom of a trifle dish, or other clear glass bowl.
- Spoon a little cherry juice from the Maraschino Cherries over the cake pieces so that it dribbles onto the white side.
- Spoon half of the cherry pie filling on top of the cake pieces.
- Pour or spoon pudding over pie filling.
- Add another layer of cake pieces and sprinkle with cherry juice.
- Add the remaining cherry pie filling on top of the cake.
- Spread whipped topping over pie filling.
- Place a few Maraschino Cherries on top of whipped topping. Sprinkle more juice, if desired.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least three hours.
o Sprinkle coconut on top
o Add walnuts or almonds between layers
o Sprinkle salty nuts on top
o Use two small boxes (or one large) of pudding to make two layers
More by this Author
Winter chicken stew like Nana makes for Sunday dinner. Easy and filling homemade recipe.
Chicken recipe with pepper and herb gravy. A strong, unexpected flavored gravy.
Quick and easy chicken recipe with vegetables served over fettuccini topped with a bit of cheese. Dinner on the table in less than an hour.
No comments yet.