Nan's home made potato salad
This is a recipe that my nan used to make, and we always had it served with schnitzels, rice and salad. I used to love our meals as a family, and though we lost both my nan and granddad in the last 3 years, they are well remembered, especially when we recreate their recipes.
- 15-18 Baby potatoes
- 6 Eggs
- 150g Peas
- 2 large Onions
- Mayonnaise to taste
- Boil the potatoes, peas and eggs separately, making sure they are all well cooked (but not burnt!).
- Drain them, and add cold water to cool them. Alternatively, cook them an hour before you need them and leave to cool.
- While these are cooling, you can chop the onions as finely as you like them - I like them a bit chunkier than others, its a personal thing! Pop them into a large mixing bowl.
- Once cooled, drain and add the peas to the bowl. You then need to drain the potatoes, and slice them roughly (around 0.5cm thick). Add these to the bowl.
- Next, drain and shell the eggs. Slice them in half lengthways, then widthways (again around 0.5cm thick). Add to the bowl, and give it a good mix.
- Finally, you need to add mayonnaise. The amount you add depends on the taste you like, so add a couple of spoons, give it a stir and taste it! I put a fair amount in, so everything is completely coated.
More by this Author
Many people love massage as a relaxation tool, but here I explain how massage and aromatherapy can be used to relieve symptoms in end-of-life care.
A lush recipe for those cold nights, passed on from some good Irish friends