New Healthy Baked Bean Recipes
Three Widely Different Recipes
Baked beans can be the standard pork and bean variety, or they can be black beans, black eye peas, butter beans, garbanzas and many other types.
The following recipes are all different in bean content, and the third can be perpared on the stovetop as a thick soup or, with the addition of more beans, as a baked bean dish with South American flair.
All three of these recipes are delicious and provide some Vegeterain alternatives to meat products listed.
Experiment with your favorite types of beans in each and please enjoy.
Healthy Kielbasa Baked Beans
SERVES 6 - 8
- 1 ½ Cups cooked Black Eyed Peas. If canned, rinse and drain.
- 1 Cup cooked Black Beans. If canned, rinse and drain.
- 14 ounces low-fat Kielbasa (Kielbasa with Cilantro is nice).
- 1 Large Spanish Onion, chopped
- 1 Cup sodium-free or low-sodium Tomato Sauce
- 2 teaspoons Ground Mustard
- 1 teaspoon Chili Powder
- 1/3 Cup Brown Sugar Twin
- 1 Tablespoon Brown Sugar
- 1 Tablespoon Lemon Juice
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Spray a large oven safe baking dish with vegetable oil cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, place the beans and mix well.
- Pour the beans into the baking dish.
- Slice Kielbasa crosswise, thinly (like pepperoni) and add to the bowl, reserving slices for the top of the dish. .
- Mix chopped onions, tomato sauce, ground mustard, chili powder, brown sugar twin, brown sugar and lemon juice into the bean mixture and blend well with a cooking spoon.
- Pour mixture into baking dish and arrange remaining Kielbasa slices over the surface.
- Place baking dish in the center of an oven rack and bake uncovered for 45 minutes, stirring once or twice, or until done.
How to Cook Dried Beans Without Producing "Gas"
Celebration Baked Beans
Makes 25 1-Cup Servings
- 2 Cups of chopped Onions - Spanish, Bermuda, or White
- 1 Cup chopped Celery
- 2 Pounds Extra Lean Ground Beef, browned and well drained [for Vegetarian, substitute a vegetable, like cubed and browned eggplant or tofu or black beans]
- 1 Can low-sodium Tomato Soup
- 1, 6 oz. Can low-sodium Tomato Paste
- 1/2 Cup low-sodium Catsup
- 1 Standard Box (15 -17 ounces) Fresh or Frozen Lima Beans, cooked
- 1 Pound Fresh or Frozen Green Beans, cooked
- 1 Pound Frozen Butter Beans, cooked. If canned, remove beans and rinse well.
- 1, 14-to-16 oz. Can of Pork and Beans, or Vegetarian Style
- 1/2 Cup Brown Sugar or Sugar Twin
- 2 Tablespoons low-sodium Mustard
- Add the onions and celery to your browned ground beef or tender-cooked other vegetables.
- Cook onions and celery until tender.
- Add soup, tomato paste, and catsup to the pan and stir well.
- Simmer this mixture for 15 minutes.
- Spoon the mixture into a 3-Quart baking dish and add all of the remaining ingredients to the dish. Stir until well mixed.
- Place the baking dish on the center of an oven rack, preheated to 350 degrees F and bake for 60 minutes or until done.
South American Beans - Stovetop or Baked
This is not originally a baked bean dish, but it includes beans and is a one-pot meal. However, a baked alternative you might add 1 more pound of beans to the mix and after adding the cream at the end of the recipe, put the entire mixture into a large oven proof dish, top with cheeses and bake for 30 - 40 minutes.
- 2 Pounds of Blackeye Peas
- 1/4 cup Chicken Fat or Vegetable Oil
- 1 Pound skinless and boneless White Meat Chicken, cut into bite size pieces. [for Vegetarian, substitute your favorite stew-friendly vegetables like carrots chunked up or tofu or turnips - whatever you like].
- 2 Cups Chicken Stock or Vegetable Stock
- 1 Cup minced onions
- 1/8 Cup minced garlic
- 1 Chili Pepper, seeded (leave a few seeds for hotness of you like) and minced fine
- 2 Cups Whipping or Heavy Cream
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Tortilla Chips - Line flavored chips are especially good.
- Shredded Jalapeno Jack or Colby Jack Cheese
- Cilantro & Line Wedges for garnish
- In a large pot, soak the beans, covered, overnight in stock in the refrigerator.
- The next day, place the pan over medium-high heat and heat up to boiling. Turn the heat down to simmer and cook the beans covered, until tender.
- Remove half of the beans carefully from the pot and puree them in a blender. If you like, add a pinch of ground red pepper and/or cumin to this portion of the beans.
- In another large pot, heat chicken fat or oil until melted or hot. Add the chicken or chunked vegetables and cook. Stirring regularly to prevent burning and sticking, and continue until the meat is golden brown or vegetables semi-soft (not mushy).
- Add onions, garlic, and chili pepper and stir until onions are translucent.
- Add the whole beans with their cooking stock into this second pot and bring it all to a full boil.
- Reduce the heat immediately to simmer. Then stir in your bean puree.
- Add the cream and heat through, constantly stirring until the entire mixture is hot. The remove form stovetop.
- Taste test and re-Season with salt and pepper if required.
- Ladle 8 oz. (1 cup) of this thick soup into a deep bowl and garnish with tortilla chips and shredded cheese(s).
- Melt the cheese under your broiler or with a small blow torch (clean, not form the garage),
- Garnish with fresh cilantro sprig and a wedge of Lime.
White Bean Crostini
More by this Author
Spinach is a vegetable with a number of odd reputations, from bad flavor to abilities to produce superheroes. Spinach has been found to be good tasting and a delight in recipes. It CAN aid strength!
Vegetables like spinach can be good tasting in a number of dishes, if handled properly - and really, if not overcooked and canned. Spinach has an interesting history through WWII as well.
Since 2010, news from BLOOMBERG BUSINESSWEEK has been that Canada and Australia were little touched by The Great Recession. New jobs continue to increase.