Best Southern Farm Recipes
New Year's Foods As Fine Traditions
Both the end and the beginning of a year have attached traditions and some of them include foods, special recipes, and rituals to go with both.
The following dishes come from traditional recipes that my father, grandfather and great grandfather used on their farms in eastern and western in Ohio from 1840 through 1940.
For the first recipe below, cooks sometimes cut up fresh apples into the mix.
Traditional, Healthy and Delicious In RecipesClick thumbnail to view full-size
New Year's Greens of Four Kinds, Mixed
Kale has become a popular green vegetable, because of its health benefits. It can be prepared in several ways - even as crisp kale chips - but in this mixed greens dish, it is very nice in flavor and texture.
- 1 lb Turnip Greens
- 1 lb Collard Greens
- 1 lb Dandelion or Mustard Greens
- 1 lb Kale
- 1 Cup chopped yellow or white Onion
- 4 Garlic Cloves, minced coarse
- 2 Tablespoons chopped fresh, or dried, Ginger <OR> Dried Mustard
- 2 teaspoons hot Pepper Flakes or Chopped hot Red Pepper
- 4 Tbsp Oil, Bacon Grease or Lard
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper, or more to taste
- Wash all the greens well to remove any sand and dirt.
- Remove stems and any discolored spots in the greens.
- Tear greens into pieces.
- Using a cast iron skillet, stir fry onions, garlic, ginger and red pepper in hot oil, bacon grease or lard for 1 minute until tender-crisp.
- Stir in salt and pepper.
- Add greens and stir fry 2 minutes.
- Cover in a large cooking pot and cook 3 minutes or until wilted.
- Yield: 8 servings.
The World's Most Powerful Superfood
Please rate our Mixed Greens Recipe
Vitamins A and C
One cup of kale offers 133% of the standard daily requirement of Vitamin A and 134% of the daily requirement for Vitamin C for adults on a 2,000-calorie daily diet.
Kale Nutritional Information
|Serving size: 1 CUP|
|Calories from Fat||0|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 0 g|
|Saturated fat 0 g|
|Unsaturated fat 0 g|
|Carbohydrates 6 g||2%|
|Protein 3 g||6%|
|Cholesterol 0 mg|
|Sodium 25 mg||1%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
Apple Cider and Cinnamon Cranberry Sauce
[...from your own orchards and bogs, if you have them]
- 1 ½ lb fresh Cranberries
- 2 Cups homemade Apple Cider
- 2 Cup Sugar
- 3 Cinnamon sticks
- 1/4 Cup Water (I like spring water)
- Pour your homemade apple cider and the water over medium-high heat in a large cooking pot.
- Add the whole cinnamon sticks.
- Add the sugar and stir the mixture until the sugar is dissolved.
- Bring the pot to the point where bubbles begin to break the surface of the mixture, but not to a full rolling boil.
- At this point, quickly add the cranberries and immediately turn down the heat to medium-low or low and simmer.
- Stir occasionally until about one quarter of your cranberries have burst. His will take about 10 minutes.
- Remove the cranberry sauce from the heat and let cool to room temperature.
- Place the cranberry sauce into the refrigerator and chill overnight to allow flavors to marry.
Dandelions have been used for food for hundreds of years, especially by farming families. Ray Bradbury recalled this is in hook "Dandelion Wine."
New Year's Jelly Recipe
This recipe is made in the spring and summer and used year around. However, it was a special treat on New Year's, along with homemade apple butter that cooked in an iron pot out back of the farmhouse.
- 1 Quart [4 Cups] Dandelion Blossoms for 5 8-oz jars of jelly
- 2 Tbsp Fresh Lemon Juice - Meyer Lemons are good for this.
- 1 3/4 oz powdered Fruit Pectin
- 8 Cups Water
- 5 1/2 Cup White Sugar
How To Make the Jelly
- Use the freshest looking dandelion blossoms (no decaying blossoms and pack tight into a quart container. You can use a quart plastic milk bottle and cut of the top part, or a paper quart milk carton open up all the way. Wash out either one thoroughly.
- Rinse off the dandelion heads in cold water and lay out on paper towels or clean kitchen towels to dry.
- Cut off all the stems and green parts.
- In a non-reactive pan, boil dandelion petals and water for 3-4 minutes until the water colors.
- Remove from heat and cool. Strain liquid though a strainer, pressing the flowers to get all their juices.
- You should have about three cups of jelly liquid.
- Add lemon juice and pectin and stir well.
- Return pot to the fire and boil.
- Add sugar and stir and boil 2 -3 minutes.
- Remove from heat and pour the jelly into 5 hot sterilized small sized jelly jars (8 ounce) and seal them with sealing lids or melted paraffin. OR Process the jars 4-5 minutes in a boiling water bath in a large stock pot. My jars using seal themselves sitting on the counter - I always hear the sealing lids POP within 2 minutes.
© 2007 Patty Inglish
More by this Author
When you see and taste this pizza, you will not believe that this dish is not made completely from scratch.
Hot' N Heart-Healthy Chicken Nuggets, accompaniments and a fruity dessert, made from scratch in under 30 minutes.
I have learned much from my Polish American friends about the important of Easter in their culture, friendships, families, and faith. Please enjoy the recipes and information.