No Yams About It!
You say "puh-tey-toh," I say "puh-tah-toh." It's all the same thing, right? Wrong, especially in regard to sweet potatoes. Think yams and sweet potatoes are the same thing?
- Yams and sweet potatoes are from different plant spieces.
- Yams are native to Aferica and Asia.
- Sweet Potatoes are native to tropical areas in the Americas.
- Yams are starchier and drier.
- Sweet Potatoes contain less natural sugar and have more vitamins A and C.
- Sweet potatoes come in both "firm" and "soft" varieties.
- African slaves called soft sweet potatoes "yams" because they resembled those of their homeland.
- If a label says "yam," the U.S.D.A. requires it to also say "sweet potato," thus adding to the confusion
A Little Thanksgiving Wit & Wisdom
"Gratitude is the inward feeling of kindness received. Thankfulness is the natural impulse to express that feeling. Thanksgiving is the following of that impulse." ~Henry Van Dyke
"I am thankful for laughter, except when milk comes out of my nose." ~Woody Allen
"Be thankful for what you have; you'll end up having more. If you concentrate on what you don't have you will never, never have enough." ~Oprah Winfrey
"Thanksgiving dinners take 18 hours to prepare. They are consumed in 12 minutes. Half-times take 12 minutes. This is not a coincidence." ~Erma Bombeck
"Imagine if the Indians would have given the Pilgrims a donkey for the Thanksgiving feast. We would all be getting a piece of ass for Thanksgiving." ~Unknown
More by this Author
1 All lies and jest, still, a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest. - Simon and Garfunkel, The Boxer 2 All of us get lost in the darkness, dreamers learn to steer by the stars. - Rush, The Pass 3...
What could be more American than sitting in front of the flickering television set with the warm glow back-lit against the wall from the walnut incased picture tube? Then sitting with a clanky metal TV tray in...
The pages are allegedly made from the skins of 160 donkeys, the Codex Gigas, is the world's largest and the most mysterious medieval manuscript. According to the Codex legend, this disturbingly beautiful text sprang...
No comments yet.