Easy Recipe Not So Perfect Petit Fours. Small Cakes Made With Pound Cake.
This is Not Your Mama's Petit Fours. Have you ever tried to make petit fours, pronounced pe•tit four? The plural spelling of petit four can either be petits fours or petit fours, I prefer petit fours, but have been known to add that s to petit. What are petit fours? They are small bite size cakes.
I have tried to make them from an old war cookbook, it didn't work. They looked so pretty in the book, but I just couldn't get them right. I tried making them from a recipe in a magazine, that didn't work. I was cursing to myself when I tried making them from the magazine. Magazines always make things look easy. They were all flops, but I make lots of flops in the kitchen and I just keep going.
These little petit fours are not made perfect, but they turn out very cute. If your planning on your petit fours to be perfect then you will have to call Martha Stewart.
Not Your Mama's Petit Fours.
How To Make Petit Fours
You can make them for parties, bridal or baby showers. They will make an impression. I combine different recipes to come up with my recipe. They are easy. They do take a little time because you put them in the freezer for a while, you will have to dip them and decorate them. I did what you see in about an hour once I took them out of the freezer.
Decorate the tops anyway you want, with nuts, coconut flakes, sprinkles, sugars, a piece of fruit, just about anything. The best icing to use is cupcake icing in the can to give whatever you’re putting on the top more sticking power. The cupcake icing comes in all different colors including chocolate, with four different tips. Decorate with flowers on the top then added sprinkles. You can just do a scribble design with the cupcake icing.
They can be made up in different colors for each holiday. You can get a lot fancier than I did. They are the hottest thing around now to make.
Items You Will Need
2 measuring cups
Piece of parchment paper or freezer paper
knife, fork and spoon
- 1 Store Bought Pound Cake
- 1 to 2 cans Whipped Frosting
- 1 can Cupcake Icing
- 3 to 5 sprinkles and sugars
- 1 pkg food colors
- Cut the top off of the cake to make it flat, but leave the rest of the crust. Cut your cake into about 1 inch x 1-inch squares. They don't have to be perfect. If your way off or they're leaning sideways, that's ok too. Once they're cut place in the freezer for about 30 minutes. Freezing is the key to this recipe. I think that is what makes the recipe work. Get your wire rack ready by putting the parchment or freezer paper under it.
- Place whipped frosting in the microwave for about 10 seconds until frosting is thin enough to dip your cake in. You may have to do it two or three times, all microwaves are different. Just make sure not to burn it or get it to hot. Don't let it go more than 10 seconds at a time. When you take it out of the microwave use your knife to mix it around in the measuring cup. Add your food coloring now, just very tiny drops at a time. Mix with a knife again. You may have more than one cup made up of frosting if you want different colors. If you do only microwave one at a time.
- Remove your cake from the freezer. Put it on the skewer, dip into microwave frosting. Remove from skewer by slipping a fork underneath the skewer and placing on the wire rack. You may have to use your finger to get it off the fork. It should be covered put if not spoon some of the frosting over the top and let it run down the edge. If you see any bare spots just fill them in with a little dap of frosting. When you're done dipping if you have frosting left spoon over top of each cake. Use cupcake frosting to decorate the top of the petit fours.
More Petit Fours
These are the petit fours made for my niece's baby shower. I used chocolate for the flower. They went over good at the party everyone loved them and they were gone in no time.
I know they say they're easy to make and they are if you do it my way, but they are not if you try to get to perfect with them. So keep it simple and you won't get frustrated making them. You could use small cookie cutters to cut out shapes in your pound cake.
You can also melt your frosting in a small crock pot the kind that is used for dips. I did that this time because I had so many to make and it work well.
In my old wartime cookbook, they are featured in the front of the book. I think they are something that were made all the time then and have become popular again.
Another way to make them is to use poured fondant as seen on youtube, the video below.
If you make the Easy Banana Bundt Cake as shown below in two loaf pans instead of a bundt pan, plain with no nuts it can be used for making the petit fours if you don't want to buy your cake, a good way to use up older bananas.
Please Rate "My Easy Not So Perfect Petits Fours."
- Bride Wedding Cake Frosting Recipe.
Bride's Wedding Cake Frosting.
- Easy Banana Bundt Cake Recipe. Made in Glass Bundt Pan or Regular Bundt Pan.
This article is about Banana Bundt cake done in a glass bundt pan.
- Snowy White Frosting and Mayonnaise Cake Recipes.
Snowy White Frosting and Mayonnaise Cake.
More by this Author
A delicious Chocolate Cake with whip cream topping.
How to make a Swedish Flop Cake.
Things I hated about selling a house. We have sold two houses. This about all the stress we went through trying to sell them.