Nutty Vegetable Recipes And Quotations
Instant Nutty Flavors
If you are in a hurry for some delicious nutty flavors, fill an individual bowl full of assorted nuts and dried fruits. Include a vegetable by adding some dried snap bean or pea crisps that are becoming popular.
Fruit and Nut Bowl Meal Or Snack
This dish is good for breakfast, lunch, a side dish at a light dinner, or a snack.
- 1/4 Cup fresh or dried bluberries
- 1/4 Cup dried cranberries
- 1/4 Cup dried or fresh pineapple
- 1 Kiwi fruit, peeled and sliced
- 1 Banana, sliced
- 1/3 Cup tomato-basil Snapeas
- 1/4 Cup almonds, sliced or whole
- 1/3 Cup walnut halves or pieces - or raw cashews
Pour together in a bowl and mix-toss gently.
I had a little nut-tree, nothing would it bear
But a golden nutmeg and a silver pear;— Mother Goose
Snapea Nutrition Data
|Serving size: 1 oz.|
|Calories from Fat||54|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 6 g||9%|
|Saturated fat 1 g||5%|
|Unsaturated fat 0 g|
|Carbohydrates 15 g||5%|
|Sugar 1 g|
|Fiber 3 g||12%|
|Protein 4 g||8%|
|Cholesterol 0 mg|
|Sodium 80 mg||3%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
Snap Beans, Snap Peas
Make Something Refreshing In Its Difference
Take your holiday and special occasion recipes "up a notch" to avoid the same old boring thing that no one wants to eat -- It goes out in the garbage. Make good food that people enjoy.
- Prep time: 15 min
- Cook time: 15 min
- Ready in: 30 min
- Yields: Enough to serve 3 to 4
Please rate our unusual green bean casserole
Not Your Usual Green Bean Casserole
- 8 ounces of fresh green beans, ends trimmed off. Pick these from your garden or purchase at the local farmers market or grocer. Some come pre-washed and already trimmed.
- Salt and pepper to taste [use soy sauce instead of salt for extra flavor, and you can even add some hot sauce if you like]
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Peanut Oil, or any light oil for frying. I like the extra light oil available at the Asian market.
- 3 Tablespoons flour, and a little extra for dusting
- 1 Large fresh Spanish onion, cut into 1/4-inch rings
- 4 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 Tablespoons minced shallots
- 1 or 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 Cup sliced almonds
- 6 ounces sliced button mushrooms or your favorite variety
- 2 Cups whole milk, heated but not scorched
- 1 Cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Cook the trimmed green beans in a large pot of boiling, salted water for 3 minutes or until tender crisp. Do not overcook. Drain the water off and transfer the pot to a bowl of ice water to cool and stop the cooking process. Drain again and pat beans dry with paper towels or a clean cloth towel.
- Pour enough oil into a heavy skillet to a depth of 2 inches and heat to 375 degrees F by your cooking thermometer.
- Season the flour with salt and pepper.
- Working in batches, dust onion rings with flour and fry them golden for 1 or 2 minutes. Using a large slotted spoon, transfer them to paper towels to drain.
- Next, preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Melt 3 Tablespoons butter in a large skillet over medium-low heat. Add shallots, garlic, and sliced almonds, and cook for 2 minutes.
- Increase the heat to medium and add the remaining tablespoon of butter and the mushrooms.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, until the mushrooms give off liquid and it evaporates.
- Sprinkle in 3 Tablespoons flour and stir 1 minute. Then gradually whisk in the milk. Bring it all to a boil and then turn down the heat and simmer 3 minutes.
- Stir the green beans and half the cheese into the mushrooms; season to taste with salt and pepper, adding soy sauce if you wish. Add remainder of cheese and stir gently.
- Remove from heat and enjoy.
Ingredients At the Dollar Tree
If you have a Dollar Tree in your neighborhood, you'll find everything in the store for $1.00, with some sale items even less. The largest floor plan has a long row of cooler and freezer cases where you can pick up anything in 6-to-10-ounce packages of empanadas, frozen fruits, bacon, pork chops, hamburgers, meatballs, and even sweet potato fries that you can use in your recipes. Quarts of milk and juice, too! All for $1.00 each. I go there often.
I said to the almond tree, 'Friend, speak to me of God,' and the almond tree blossomed.— Nikos Kazantzakis
Warning: the Internet may contain traces of nuts.— Anonymous
Nutty Vegetable Fry Up
- 8 oz Sweet potato strips (frozen, or use a medium sweet potato, peel and cut up into large steak-fry shapes). Carrots are a good substitution, if needed. Sometimes, I use both.
- 4 oz Fresh green beans
- 2 oz Fresh yellow beans
- 1 small onion, cut into quarters, lengthwise
- 1/2 Cup walnuts or pecans
- Very light oil for saute
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Saute onion until just softening and add all the beans.
- Stir and saute until tender-crisp.
- Remove vegetables to a holding dish and fry sweet potatoes
- Add nuts and cook 1 minute, or until heated and fragrant
- Add other vegetables back into the pan, stir and heat.
- Season to taste, even adding a little cayenne pepper if desired.
- Serve and enjoy.
The next day Moses entered the Tent of the Testimony and saw that Aaron’s staff, which represented the house of Levi, had not only sprouted but had budded, blossomed and produced almonds.— Numbers 17:8; Old Testament
Spicy Holiday Celebration Nuts
- Nonstick cooking spray - A good store brand is fine.
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil or light Asian oil
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder, or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 Cup sugar
- 3/4 Cup walnut pieces
- 1/2 Cup raw cashews
- 1/2 Cup almonds
- Salt to taste, if needed
- Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil or a silicone baking mat for ease of cleaning.
- Spray the foil with cooking spray.
- Heat the oil in a heavy, large skillet over medium heat.
- Add all the spices and stir until fragrant, for about 10 seconds.
- Next, add the sugar and stir until the sugar melts and turns to a nice amber color.
- Remove pan from heat and stir in the nuts in the sugar syrup until evenly coated.
- Spread the nuts on the prepared baking sheet.
- Taste, and season with salt, if needed, and simply let cool.
- Place the cooled nuts into a serving dish and enjoy.
Please Enjoy These Additional Vegetable Recipes
In warmer months of the years, try this simple Summer Vegetable Ratatouille Recipe. Many European and Middle Eastern countries enjoy their own interesting versions of ratatouille, a delicious stewed vegetable dish. These dishes need not be complicated to make. One more elaborate tradition of this food from Nice in Southern France is likely most well known, but other simpler fare originates in the Basque Country between Spain and France.
Chinese cooking offers some of the very best Easy Vegetarian Recipes. For instance, highly regarded Chef Grace Zia Chu began writing Chinese cook books for Americans in 1962 in order to share the simple artistry of her homeland's cuisine.
For holidays, use these flexible Vegetarian Thanksgiving Recipes that are good any time of the year.
Do you want to try for good luck this year? Try this Good Luck Gumbo For Easter. A vegetarian based Gumbo is traditional for Good Friday among cajuns and you can enjoy it as well. You can add shrimps or sausage if you like extra protein. Cajun Potato Salad and Skillet Salsa round out a great meal for good times, good friends, and good fortune. Try the recipes.
Thinking about going vegan? Well, try these Vegan Recipes From North Africa. Some of the best vegan recipes in existence are so delicious that you will forget all about meat. These come from friends and acquaintances in Africa over the years.I hope you enjoy them!
© 2016 Patty Inglish
More by this Author
- EDITOR'S CHOICE7
Mexico has a wide range of natural environments that produce a refreshing variety of foods. Mexican cuisine combines Indigenous and Spanish influences for a fusion of many rich flavors and fun meals.
- EDITOR'S CHOICE4
This is a good-tasting soup for winter that will make you feel warm and satisfied with good food. This recipe can be made with other forms of delicious squash as well. Video recipes included.
Since 2010, news from BLOOMBERG BUSINESSWEEK has been that Canada and Australia were little touched by The Great Recession. New jobs continue to increase.